Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Temp

West Coast Dave
    When making a change from iron heads to aluminum heads has anybody noticed an increased running temp. It seems like we jumped up about 25-30 degrees. Is it normal, if not what might be the problem?? Thanx for the advice.

Havasu Hangin'
    My engine is running about that much warmer, but I also changed the sending unit from the intake to the head...aluminum has better heat transfer? maybe...

KC
    aluminuim has MUCH better heat transfer over cast iron, so they are going to absorb and disapate the heat farther, faster and hotter.
    chances are that you have a temp drop on the block that equates to a temp drop for the oil.
    $.02

502procharger
    kc,
    did you order your zz502?
    brian

Hotcrusader76
    KC:
    aluminuim has MUCH better heat transfer over cast iron, so they are going to absorb and disapate the heat farther, faster and hotter.
    chances are that you have a temp drop on the block that equates to a temp drop for the oil.
    $.02Actually its just the opposite. Aluminum has a lower "specific heat capacity" (.900) over Iron (.473), hence the reason Iron heats up faster. Its not that Aluminum gets rid of it faster, its that it never is able to retain the heat as fast as Iron can, and it just doesn't transfer as easy. This is why you can pick up Aluminum foil off a Bar BQ and not get burned. Pick up a cast Iron and skillet and your smoking!
    In theory your heads should run cooler than Iron.

[ August 27, 2002, 06:17 AM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

KC
    as I read through one of my big block books last night, it states that aluminum heads should run cooler also.... how does a large heat sink sitting ontop of a motor run cooler??? that heat is going some place, I gues the energy is being kept closer to the chamber and leaving with the exhaust.... not like the heads have fins for cooling. ok, ok...

KC
    502procharger....
    no I did not order the zz502, the Ram Jet version will not fit in my engine bay without a significant air scoop, so I am going to patiently wait for a used 502 MPI... I want the EFI, no carbs for me, almost snagged EFI system on EBay but the seller pulled it three hours before the end of auction.
    Given how rare the 502 MPI is, I might just go overboard and get the whipple.
    KC

502procharger
    kc,
    try this guy, his name is kevin. it is the place i snaged that 540. i do not know what exactly he has, but there were a ton of new and used engines. he said he would beat anyones best price. give him a shout. 1-732-751-1200. he ships nation wide, and i think like $200.00 is the max shipping he charges(i could be wrong)
    let me know what you find out.

502procharger
    test
    [ August 27, 2002, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: 502procharger ]

KC
    502procharger...
    Thanks, I'll call him in the AM. KC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast