Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with gauges issues

Jyruiz
    My cousin just purchased a 2000 Eliminator 22 Eagle with the 454 Mag 7.4 MPI and he got a great deal because a couple of the gauges are not working. One is the speedometer and the other is the RPM/hour meter gauge. I have checked all the wiring on the dashboard side and everything is hooked up nice and tight. I also checked all the fuses and they are all good. What should I start checking now guys? Oh, and here is apic of the boat.
    http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...id=15905&stc=1

Quality Time
    Let me guess, Livorsi's?

Mandelon
    Go with a new GPS speedo set up...
    are you getting any power to the guages?

Jyruiz
    Let me guess, Livorsi's?
    I am not sure, I will have to check.

Jyruiz
    are you getting any power to the guages?
    I don't know, how do I check that, volt meter? But what wires do I ceck, for power? There are a lot hooked up back there.

BADBLOWN572
    Speedo - Chances are the speedometer is a mechanical speedometer that has a pito tube that goes to the back of the boat. Depending on the type of boat, the pickup will either be in the outdrive or mounted to the transom. I would pull the line off and start there. Hook up an air hose and blow in the tube. If the speedo moves, you know that it is in the pickup. Easy to replace and pretty cheap. If the speedo doesn't move it is either in the gage or the tube. Pull the tube off on the back of the speedo and blow again from the back. It should flow freely with water. If it doesn't, you may have a pinched tube or an obstruction. If that is the case, you either need to blow it out, or replace the tube. If it is flowing freely you will know it. If the tube flows smoothly, then it is probably the gage. Blow into the nipple on the back. Chances are it probably won't move.
    RPM/Hour First thing that you need to do is to make sure that you are getting a good ignition source. Take a 12V test light and clip it to the ground and ign wire (purple) on the back of the gage. If you turn on the ignition, it should light up. If it doesn't, the ignition is the source of your problems. If it does light up, then take an extra piece of wire and touch the ground wire and sender wire (typically gray). Avoid touching purple and black!!! If you cross the ground and sender wires, the needle should peg to high RPM's. If it does not, chances are you have a bad gauge.
    If this doesn't work, let me know. If you bring it by my shop, in Anaheim, I would be happy to take a look at it. Only cost you a beer (well maybe 2).

Mandelon
    Isn't the speedo pickup at the hole at the front of the nosecone on the outdrive?

BADBLOWN572
    Isn't the speedo pickup at the hole at the front of the nosecone on the outdrive?
    Depends, typically yes it is. All Mercury outdrives (B1 & A1) have the p/u at the front of the drive. There is a little tube coming out the front of the lower to the gimbal. That is where you would want to pull it off.
    If the boat is a jet, there is an external pickup. Sometimes manufacturers use an external pickup even on B1 & A1 drives. It really depends on how the boat is setup.

Jyruiz
    Speedo - Chances are the speedometer is a mechanical speedometer that has a pito tube that goes to the back of the boat. Depending on the type of boat, the pickup will either be in the outdrive or mounted to the transom. I would pull the line off and start there. Hook up an air hose and blow in the tube. If the speedo moves, you know that it is in the pickup. Easy to replace and pretty cheap. If the speedo doesn't move it is either in the gage or the tube. Pull the tube off on the back of the speedo and blow again from the back. It should flow freely with water. If it doesn't, you may have a pinched tube or an obstruction. If that is the case, you either need to blow it out, or replace the tube. If it is flowing freely you will know it. If the tube flows smoothly, then it is probably the gage. Blow into the nipple on the back. Chances are it probably won't move.
    RPM/Hour First thing that you need to do is to make sure that you are getting a good ignition source. Take a 12V test light and clip it to the ground and ign wire (purple) on the back of the gage. If you turn on the ignition, it should light up. If it doesn't, the ignition is the source of your problems. If it does light up, then take an extra piece of wire and touch the ground wire and sender wire (typically gray). Avoid touching purple and black!!! If you cross the ground and sender wires, the needle should peg to high RPM's. If it does not, chances are you have a bad gauge.
    If this doesn't work, let me know. If you bring it by my shop, in Anaheim, I would be happy to take a look at it. Only cost you a beer (well maybe 2).
    Wow, thanks. What is the address of your shop and how late are you open?

SPY-21
    Hi guys, I'm new to this so please bare with me. I'm the owner of the Eliminator boat in question. I was wondering if you had time this week if I could bring the boat buy? I live in Irvine and would be more than happy to take care you your beer needs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast