Thread: Now that the engine is out...

wbrenw
    I've got a 89' Wellcraft Elite with a 350 Mag that spent a month or so partialy submerged in salt water. I've pulled the sterndrive and the engine and am in the process of a block-up rebuild. What I'm looking for is a list of things I should take care of/check/change now that the engine and drive unit are out of the boat.
    No, I'm not the one that sank it.

shockwaveharry
    Check for leaks...

disco_charger
    How about a Zip Loc baggy to go around it...

wbrenw
    OK, well, thats real helpful. Shouldn't you guys be posting to the "sand bar"?

shockwaveharry
    Sorry, it was just too easy... Anyway, it sounds like you have the engine part under control. Was there salt water in the drive oil? Any contamination would warrent an internal inspection since it was submerged for a period of time. Any part of the wiring that was under water should be checked as well. Corrosion in the harnass is the enemy of trouble free weekends. How about the control cables? Trim pumps? Check anything that moves, piviots or spins (now is the time to replace the gimble bearing if it's bad) in the transom housing and super lube all the fittings to flush out any moisture. Are the bellows O.K.? Clean out the bildge. Is there any rotting wood? Check the pumps and blowers. Why not replace the fuel lines or anything else that looks old or questionable?
    Oh, and check for leaks! wink