Thread: Could use some help/info on a drive

sawtooth
    A buddy of mine is looking at buying a used boat that has a TSR or is it TRS outdrive setup. Who makes or made these, are they or were they any good, and can you still get or find parts. I have never heard of them but told him I would ask the experts here in the forum and see what comes up. Thanks in advance for any info you can supply.
    Chris.

sawtooth
    Oh come on somebody has to know something, help a brother out :cry:

DMOORE
    TRS outdrives were manufactured by Mercruser. They were basically the large offshore type drives used throughout the late 70's and 80's. They were used on the BBC set-ups at the time.The units do not have water pick-ups in them like a Bravo does. I had them on a 32 ft Scarab with 468's making some good numbers. They are pretty strong units, but heavy,never had a problem with mine. They have seperate transmissions in front of them, which could be a Borge Warner or Mercruiser I think. Borge Warner is stronger. The problem now is the fact that they haven't been manufactured since ( I believe ) the late 80's. Parts may be a bit hard to find.
    Darrell.

Quality Time
    Konrad makes a direct replacement for the TRS drive and from all accounts is very strong. The military is using their drives. If your friend can use the "No parts" angle to lower the price, go for it and run the TRS' until they break then convert to Konrads.

sawtooth
    Thanks so much for the info, I will pass it along to him. The boat is 23' and is about 27 years old with a BBC for power, I told him if it has held up that long it must be pretty good piece when he first called me.....but you never know. Thanks again I new sombody would come thru with some history.
    Chris.