Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone self contract their pool being built ?

bchbum
    Got a bid last nite for a pool , for a very basic one the price was over $ 43,000. People have told me they saved major $ by being their own general . If you did this how much $ did you save ,did you use referals ,was there alot of headaches ,& was it worth the savings ? Thanks

shueman
    Never get your money out of a pool.....better to get a nice spa instead....

riverluvr
    Yes, we contracted our own pool. It only took 7 weeks......we got a 50,000 pool for 28,000. You can PM me if you want names, etc. I can also send you some pics of our pool so you know what 28,000 will get you. It wasn't a pain....well, any more of a pain than dealing with contractors (they can be a pain already) :0) Sorry to all you GOOD contractors out there. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

bchbum
    We know a pool is lost $ on resale , we don't plan on selling . Our jobs can't be moved as we both work for the local govt. or school district . Been here 18 years already , not enough time to go to the river -- so we want a pool .

THATJEFFGUY
    Got a bid last nite for a pool , for a very basic one the price was over $ 43,000. People have told me they saved major $ by being their own general . If you did this how much $ did you save ,did you use referals ,was there alot of headaches ,& was it worth the savings ? Thanks
    A neighbor of mine is a GC and just did his pool this way. He said he saved about $20K. I am going to talk to him soon and probably will be doing the same thing. With all the re-fi's and HELOC's, pool builders prices are over the top right now. I've had two bids....just a pretty basic pool 19x36 with some decorative flagstone. One was $56K, the other was almost $62K...ridiculous !!

Trailer Park Casanova
    We did it once.
    Get the list, get a perfect idea of what you want,, even pics of someone elses that you'd like to duplicate.
    If I were to do it again, I'd go small, and even consider tile covered fiberglass.
    When ya decide ya don't want it anymore someetime in the late future, a sawsall and a dumpster is all ya need to get your yard back.
    Concrete pools are the most awsum though.

TOBTEK
    we are getting our pebbletec installed tomorrow morning....All I can tell you is do a OWNER BUILDER! I would never use a pool company again. I only wish id gone with my gut, and had Roz help me with this project. Once the GC gets your draws to cover their projects cost.... GOOD LUCK getting it completed. After seeing first hand whats involved, Id have no problem going owner builder. PLUS, Ive talked with all the subs. They say they would rather deal with a O/builber because they get paid in a faster manner. They say the G/C's are slow pays......... Wifey was afraid for Insurance reasons, just get references on your subs........ contact ROZ, this is his line of work.

mbrown2
    we are getting our pebbletec installed tomorrow morning....All I can tell you is do a OWNER BUILDER! I would never use a pool company again. I only wish id gone with my gut, and had Roz help me with this project. Once the GC gets your draws to cover their projects cost.... GOOD LUCK getting it completed. After seeing first hand whats involved, Id have no problem going owner builder. PLUS, Ive talked with all the subs. They say they would rather deal with a O/builber because they get paid in a faster manner. They say the G/C's are slow pays......... Wifey was afraid for Insurance reasons, just get references on your subs........ contact ROZ, this is his line of work.
    I agree Tob...dealing with a pool builder was a nightmare....would not ever want to do it again...

Trailer Park Casanova
    I agree Tob...dealing with a pool builder was a nightmare....would not ever want to do it again...
    Where do ya start with the horror stories,,, I'd never do it again either.

'78 gt boat
    I'm using a company called DIY pools direct. They are digging tomorrow. I got bids from 40k to 50k and I'm getting this one for 31k. This includes the commission for the sales guy. without the commission If I wanted to do all the leg work it would have been around 27k. Simple 80 perimeter pool and 25 perimiter spa with salt water and pebbletech with other goodies like a sheer descent and extra spa jets and crap like that. I think I got a pretty good deal. Just my .02 :220v:

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast