Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boat Luxury Tax?

Wizard29
    What happens if you don't pay it in CA?
    Right now my boat has CA registration, but has been kept and used in Nevada for more than a year. I received a notice from the County asking me to fill out information about the boat. Yeah right. Just as soon as I do that, I'll receive a nice tax bill for it.
    So, the plan is to switch it over to NV registration, let CA know that it isn't even kept or used here and not pay them.
    Anybody have any experience with this?

DeeCandyBar
    don't mess with this - they will screw your credit up in a hurry. they will put a lien on your credit and it will stay there for a year or more (they put it on quickly but take forever to take it off).
    pay it and then get the boat registered in AZ and let them know it (send the information by certified mail return receipt requested). once they have you they won't let go.

Wizard29
    Even if I have the boat registered in NV before I send the form back?
    It would seem to me that if the boat were registered in another state upon submission of that form, and I can prove the boat hasn't even been in CA since I bought it, CA wouldn't have any right to anything.

acatitude
    if you own a house in ca, and dont respond or pay it , you will get a notice of lien attached to your home..... I had an issue with them on a boat i had sold and started calling and explaining what happened and I just recently got a letter stating the lien had been removed. its a little fustrating bit start the phone calls.... They were very fair and helpful..... if you can believe that from a state worker :boxed:

racecar.hotshoe
    I pay $1500 a year it blows.............................

Screemy1
    I have my boat in AZ reg and trailer in CA.... they gave me a little crap when registering the trailer... but I made it through... I pay non resident az fees.... they raised from 80 bucks last year to 220 this year... is that still cheaper then CA??? it is an old 78 jet boat....

DILLIGAF
    What happens if you don't pay it in CA?
    Right now my boat has CA registration, but has been kept and used in Nevada for more than a year. I received a notice from the County asking me to fill out information about the boat. Yeah right. Just as soon as I do that, I'll receive a nice tax bill for it.
    So, the plan is to switch it over to NV registration, let CA know that it isn't even kept or used here and not pay them.
    Anybody have any experience with this?
    If it is reg in CA for even 1 day you will have to pay the luxury tax. If you go right now and reg in NV you will still have to pay for this year also.

Havasu Luvr
    If the boat is reg. one second after midnight you will pay this tax for the whole year, there is NO pro-rate system. Even if you reg it in the State of Nev now you will be liable for this tax next year....

Steamin' Rice
    Get out your checkbook and get ready to pay the tax. If your boat is used and stored out of state, then get your registration changed so that it is out of state before the end of this year, or you will also need to pay the tax in 2007.

Wizard29
    So the point is I will probably be liable for the tax for last year (I bought the boat in May of last year) as well as for the tax this year, which will be due next year, right?
    My objective then will be to get the boat registered in NV before January 1 to avoid a CA tax to be due in 2008.
    Correct?
    For now, they just sent me the questionnaire about the boat. You can bet I'll make the boat sound as cheap and as broken down as possible so as to lower the perceived value of it. Hopefully less value = less tax.
    It just seems focking ridiculous that those of us who work hard enough and are consequently able to afford toys like this have to pay extra to the state so they can waste it on dickheads (legal or otherwise) that leach off of the system and suck up public services. Infuriating, really.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast