Thread: Milkshake Oil.... Any thoughts??

77CobraJet455
    To start with this is not a new problem, Olds 455..But when I first got the boat the first time I took it out it ran fine but came in with contaminated oil. I then took the motor to the shop and they looked it over and tested the heads. The heads were fine but came to the conclusion that it was the intake gasket as it was not a Mr. Gasket style gasket. So replaced that and then also put in a pressure bypass valve in the water intake line to regulate the water pressure intering the block . Now I have taken the boat out and it ran fine again but still has contaminated oil. I am running a basset T valve for my water injected headers. Could the valve not be operating properly and would that cause water to get sucked back into the engine if water was still being injected when you get off the throttle? Or could there have been enough water left in the engine to give a mild milkshake to the oil. Any thoughts would be great.

Cas
    double check the intake bolts to make sure they are still tight. Next thing is to check the water pump cover as they tend to corrode thus putting water right into the Olds block.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    To start with this is not a new problem, Olds 455..But when I first got the boat the first time I took it out it ran fine but came in with contaminated oil. I then took the motor to the shop and they looked it over and tested the heads. The heads were fine but came to the conclusion that it was the intake gasket as it was not a Mr. Gasket style gasket. So replaced that and then also put in a pressure bypass valve in the water intake line to regulate the water pressure intering the block . Now I have taken the boat out and it ran fine again but still has contaminated oil. I am running a basset T valve for my water injected headers. Could the valve not be operating properly and would that cause water to get sucked back into the engine if water was still being injected when you get off the throttle? Or could there have been enough water left in the engine to give a mild milkshake to the oil. Any thoughts would be great.
    The t-valve is a possible culprit. Take it apart and make sure the check ball isn't pulled up into the spring, this can happen if the spring is put in upside down. Also look at the check ball seat for corrosion or to see if it had been notched to let a little water through at idle (some guys do this). Some engines will pull in header water at an idle depending on the cam profile.
    If the t-valve checks out, drain the oil and pull the valve covers. Pressurize the cooling system leaving the oil pan bolt out and visually inspect around the head bolts. If there is a leak anywhere you might get water coming out the drain hole (you might even hear it). If that doesn't work check the intake seal. Were the heads milled? Sometimes the intake needs to be cut down to match the heads.
    Thats what I would do. If that doesn't fix it you may have a bad head gasket and possibly other problems from that or,,, cracked head or block. Hopefully not!
    Good luck!

tomcei
    you may check your temps. try running the engine warmer. It could be condensation. Just a thought. I had that problem until I ran an oil bypass thermastat before my cooler. Also had a friend of my with a jet and he had the same. As soon as he ran it warmer no more problems.

centerhill condor
    yea, what he said... your engine makes twice as much H2O as CO2. Warmer is better. I had the same problem but never milkshake oil! You've done a lot of the right things. I like the idea of pressurising the cooling system for leaks as an analytical technique.

advantage21
    Take A Look At The Manifold Just Went Thru This On A Friends Olds
    Replaced The Intake Gskts Ran It And Still Had Water In The Oil Removed The Manifold And It Was Warped Replaced With A Non-egr Style And Prob Was Fixed.

TAYLORCHET
    You might also do a leak down test or even a simple compressoin test because a bad valve or leaky valves will also cause that problem as I found out !