Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18' vs. 19' gullwing

steelcomp
    What are the pros and cons of 18' vs. 19' gullwing? What would some of you guys who have experience with gullwings say the max speed for a 19', fully tricked, no-holds-barred 300# gullwing would be?

Dogballs
    Steel,
    From what I know owning a 19 and having friends with them. The top speed is equal but the 18 is quicker. Id say 150-200 pounds difference in weight depending on layup. My 19 is running over the 100 mark and feels like a cadi doing it. As far as top speed, that question would be better answered by the pros. Also, the beam in a 19 is much wider providing for ample room if you are looking for full interior. I'd say if one was looking for a river boat the 19 is the way to go.
    Balls

LGCDEVIL
    I think somebody said the top end on a 19' was slightly better because the sides of the hull are angled in (vertical on the 18'). That, and the extra foot of boat gives more surface area to pack air. Or not?

What are the pros and cons of 18' vs. 19' gullwing? What would some of you guys who have experience with gullwings say the max speed for a 19', fully tricked, no-holds-barred 300# gullwing would be?
    The 19 is a river boat so having a fully tricked 300# 19' probably isnt realistic, now a 300# 18 would make sence to me
    Top speed in a 19 is probably 113-115 TOPS, thats fast in one of those.I have a friend with a custom laid up 19 that is a little lighter than most..He has been there (110 plus) in his without any ill handling. Its a badd mofo, completly rigged by MPD, full interior and its very sano and very quick,its a no BS racetrack proven boat. The 19s are a little bulky for really hauling ass but they are the most practical river boats, lots of room and great handling.Dogballs has the most sano 19 on the river right now.
    Who knows what the limitations are with an 18.. Sofa king has ran 120 @ 8.40 in his and I think thats about as quick as anyone has ever been in one, I personally think he is pretty close to the limit of an 18.. Id like to see him go 8.30 but I just cant imagine it going there without having some issues.Dont think they wont blow over cause they are not a tunnell, anyone who has been to MPD has the picture of Lakamp on the wall.. :jawdrop: Lakamp is another guy who has been mid 8s at 120 with good results,Roznos has laid down some very safe 8.50 passes this season as well... I love the 18's I see one in my future as a river racer but not just yet.
    19 CP tunnel ? Now there is the boat to fully trick out at 300 pounds.

steelcomp
    The reason I mentioned a 300# 19', is that I can probably get my hands on one of the first ES 19's (Youngblood) that has very low hours and has been mothballed since the early 80's. It weighs in right at 300#, and is definately a potatoechip. The guy who owns it is my friend that flew...I mean raced them for Earl before he built the tunnels. It's set up pretty nice with Calgo, good pump and hardware, etc. He says he thinks the 19 traps too much air, and isn't as safe at high speeds as the 18...he blew his 19 over at Ming at 106, and flew it 30' in the air, and that was the last 19 he raced. He's getting a little old for the boating thing, and this thing just sits under covers. I think it's too light for a lakle/river deal...just wondering whether it would be worth investing some time and $$ into for a future hotrod/race boat.
    Too bad they didn't build a 19' tunnel.

bp
    that's the same hull theresa ward ran for a long time before she sold it; makes a great 10 second boat, but it IS light, and she didn't like running it in rough stuff, at all. nice boat though.. couple young twins runnin' it now in sdba...

Wicked Performance Boats
    Boy, it's everything I can do, not to speak up on this issue. But let me say that NOBODY has done research and developement on improving or melding the 19-18 gullwing that most people know of. Everybody keeps buying what is known. Known from the 70's-80's. Now everybody' knows what they have done. But that's not to say it can't be bettered. That's the problem that I have found with this style boat. Once you have a name, you just keep popping out hulls and making alittle money. I believe that the powertrain in a hull has gone a long way but the hulls have much more potential that nobody has tried to capitalize on . Till now, but it's a hard area to break in to. It costs alot of research and development money. Everybody wants to buy a proven performance piece. And I understand that, but I believe that there's more to be gained. I refuse to be just a pawn. I want to be a leader in the field. If I'm wrong, so be it. But i'm sure going to make an effort to try to improve what's been available. Now we all know that this internet thing can help you make or break a new hull design. But the fact is now that's it available let's use it. If you just want to buy a old proven hull design, then go for it!!! BUt if you want a better hull ,pay attention to what's going on. Our offer is to come to the river and experience a wicked hull. We let everybody know when we are going. Try something new!!!!! Wicked Performance Boats Ps. Let trhe BS start!!!!
    '

steelcomp
    Were gonna have to start calling you "Squirtin Bud".
    OK...so go ahead and tell us what we need to know. What's the biggest difference between yours and all other gullwings? (not that it has anything to do with my thread topic, but what the hell)
    The floor's all yours, and I yield my thread.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Were gonna have to start calling you "Squirtin Bud".
    OK...so go ahead and tell us what we need to know. What's the biggest difference between yours and all other gullwings? (not that it has anything to do with my thread topic, but what the hell)
    The floor's all yours, and I yield my thread.
    SC, This could be pandora's box. I didn't come on here[ this thread ] to spam our hull. What I meant was that,although the gullwing style hull has been around since the 70's, making and setting many records. That if you believe that is all the performance and driveability that can be gained from that syle hull has been gotten. Then accept it and either buy one or move on. We believe that the research and development continues. Our hull has a different gullwing entry and pockets the air all the way thru to the transom. It's not just a gullwing entry hull into a semivee hull. That's what you have seen so far. Our lifting strakes are moved and the entry is different, plus the air entrapment wings go further back, clear to the transom. The idea of the hull is to get it to Fly and fly stable. And if that's not enough infomation for you then imagine that the deck has no place for water,gas,sand to pocket. Any fluid will flow off the deck! Plus it has a kickup in the back to deflect water from all those wakeboard boats! Now it's not a fixall ,but it's form follows function thing. BUT what We offer is"Come to the river and experience our hull" I believe it handles like an 18 and drives like a 19 gullwing. But don't take our word for it. Come to the river and experience it. If you read what's been posted on the internet about our hull. Then you should come try it for yourself!! We didn't mean this as a spamming opportunity , more like a info commercial!!!!

steelcomp
    No worries Pat...glad to get some insight into actual differences with the Wicked rather than "just try it, you'll like it". Get one of those on the race track and put it to the ultimate test. What wins on Sunday...
    I'm more looking for info on fast 19's, since that's what I'm looking into. Early design, old school gullwing. Just wanted to know what to expect AFA limitations and/or practiblilty. (Hey...I think I made up a word...George would be proud!) SC, This could be pandora's box. I didn't come on here[ this thread ] to spam our hull. What I meant was that,although the gullwing style hull has been around since the 70's, making and setting many records. That if you believe that is all the performance and driveability that can be gained from that syle hull has been gotten. Then accept it and either buy one or move on. We believe that the research and development continues. Our hull has a different gullwing entry and pockets the air all the way thru to the transom. It's not just a gullwing entry hull into a semivee hull. That's what you have seen so far. Our lifting strakes are moved and the entry is different, plus the air entrapment wings go further back, clear to the transom. The idea of the hull is to get it to Fly and fly stable. And if that's not enough infomation for you then imagine that the deck has no place for water,gas,sand to pocket. Any fluid will flow off the deck! Plus it has a kickup in the back to deflect water from all those wakeboard boats! Now it's not a fixall ,but it's form follows function thing. BUT what We offer is"Come to the river and experience our hull" I believe it handles like an 18 and drives like a 19 gullwing. But don't take our word for it. Come to the river and experience it. If you read what's been posted on the internet about our hull. Then you should come try it for yourself!! We didn't mean this as a spamming opportunity , more like a info commercial!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast