Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I keep my dog off my furniture?

Punitive Reinforcement. The first command to teach the dog is what NO ! means from there the rest is easy. Always use the word before the stimuli. pretty soon he /she will ascociate the word with the what's comming next. Always reward the dog with positive reinforcement for desired behavior.
    C.T. :wink:
    What he said. A little "consistant" training will easily work on most dogs. Some hi energy special cases may require a little more in depth work, with use of stimulation or citranella spray collars. I have used them. They do work as long as consistant training and enforcement is also present.
    Most importantly, you have to be viewed as the pack leader by the dog. Dogs are pack oriented animals. Until the dog respects you as the leader you will not have good results. I recommend watching Cesar Milan, (the dog whisperer), on the National Geographic Channel if you really want to learn how dogs think and should be trained. His approach is dead nuts on target.

doesitfloat?
    Which brands work well? We are currently trying to decide on which one to purchase.
    We have the Dogtra 1800 NC. You can find less expensive models but we ponied up for the 1800 because it's waterproof (and our dogs are always swimming), it has both "nick" and "continuous" zap buttons and it had a good warranty. It also has 1-10 settings for shock strength.
    But, I'll admit that it worked so fast that we probably could have gone without all of the bells and whistles.
    I know a local store limits the returns on these collars to 1-2 days because people were buying 'em, training their dogs, and returning the collars a week later.
    Good luck

sleekcraft78
    Give them a dedicated place to lay. My boxer has his own doggie couch. He loves it because it's so thick.

Miss Managed Assets
    We have the Dogtra 1800 NC. You can find less expensive models but we ponied up for the 1800 because it's waterproof (and our dogs are always swimming), it has both "nick" and "continuous" zap buttons and it had a good warranty. It also has 1-10 settings for shock strength.
    But, I'll admit that it worked so fast that we probably could have gone without all of the bells and whistles.
    I know a local store limits the returns on these collars to 1-2 days because people were buying 'em, training their dogs, and returning the collars a week later.
    Good luck
    Thanks for the help, I was reading that Dogtra was the top of the line!

doesitfloat?
    What he said. A little "consistant" training will easily work on most dogs. Some hi energy special cases may require a little more in depth work, with use of stimulation or citranella spray collars. I have used them. They do work as long as consistant training and enforcement is also present.
    Most importantly, you have to be viewed as the pack leader by the dog. Dogs are pack oriented animals. Until the dog respects you as the leader you will not have good results. I recommend watching Cesar Milan, (the dog whisperer), on the National Geographic Channel if you really want to learn how dogs think and should be trained. His approach is dead nuts on target.
    I agree completely. You can't just strap on a collar without the proper training mindset or the consistency. It still takes human work and interaction, but if your dog is a crazy, high energy nut without any apparent focus, the collar is helpful.

doesitfloat?
    Thanks for the help, I was reading that Dogtra was the top of the line!
    Your welcome. :rollside:

KACHINA KEN
    I'm going to try something I should have done awhile ago, she gets up on my sueded recliner to view outside si i need to find a small wick papa san chair for her, I'm going to Pier 1 in a sec to look for one.

Cheap Thrills
    Thanks for the backup Mike, Next lesson, Drug Training Let me know when youre ready to start Ken.
    C.T. :wink:

GHT
    I agree completely. You can't just strap on a collar without the proper training mindset or the consistency. It still takes human work and interaction, but if your dog is a crazy, high energy nut without any apparent focus, the collar is helpful.
    I think Kenny has the proper mind set for his dog.. It is pretty obvious he thinks the world of MJ.. He built a boat to look like her..
    Ken, as you see this "Collar" is the way to go. It startles them more than it hurts. Very good tool for training.

GHT
    I'm going to try something I should have done awhile ago, she gets up on my sueded recliner to view outside si i need to find a small wick papa san chair for her, I'm going to Pier 1 in a sec to look for one.
    Your actually going to buy a "Special Piece" of furniture for MJ?... Train, not compromise... Although you are a very "self sacrificing" person.
    Do what makes you happy.. And MJ..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast