Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: small block chevy cam question

84 camaroturbo
    I was thinking of doing that but if you look at the dyno charts. just by putting a roller cam in instead of a flat tappet same lift and duration. you gain an average of fifty to sixty hp. just by the ramp angle and the loss of friction. like i said i know it helps a car just dont know about boats.
    a 1.6 rocker over a 1.5 will only give you about 30thousands more lift. that is usually not enough to have to change springs for.

HP350SC
    1.6's won't do $hit. We did a few and got nothing out of it. The 350 mag. cam will work perfect for your application.
    Dennis Moore's book will list the cam specs., I don't have them offhand.

bigkatboat
    1.6's won't do $hit. We did a few and got nothing out of it. The 350 mag. cam will work perfect for your application.
    Dennis Moore's book will list the cam specs., I don't have them offhand.
    This shows how little you know about these motors. The intake, heads and exhaust are the restrictive areas. This guy is not an expert and he needs to take small steps up in his quest for speed. "You did a few and got nothing out of it", because you know nothing of it! Just put a blower on and CURE all of your problems! Mr Moneypit knows who I am and I am a former GM engineer. (V-drive guy) You need to make good cylinder pressure at lower RPMs in order to get up to the speeds that allow you to make some top end power. If this guy is going to purchase and change cams, your 350HP cam is not the best choice. The 1.6 rocker arms are not going to make a Monster change, but along with the springs (that must be changed) they will make a 260HP into a 305HP, and I know it for a fact.

HP350SC
    This shows how little you know about these motors. The intake, heads and exhaust are the restrictive areas. This guy is not an expert and he needs to take small steps up in his quest for speed. "You did a few and got nothing out of it", because you know nothing of it!
    Just put a blower on and CURE all of your problems! Mr Moneypit knows who I am and I am a former GM engineer. (V-drive guy) You need to make good cylinder pressure at lower RPMs in order to get up to the speeds that allow you to make some top end power. If this guy is going to purchase and change cams, your 350HP cam is not the best choice. The 1.6 rocker arms are not going to make a Monster change, but along with the springs (that must be changed) they will make a 260HP into a 305HP, and I know it for a fact.
    Maybe my post came across as inflammatory, sorry about that.
    Here are the facts, sounds like he has a stock motor, except with a performer? and 4 bbl. in an I/O.
    Merc. 350's used the same size heads and blockfrom '86 to '96 or so, 2 bbl, 4 bbl or mag. He said he DOESN'T want to pull the heads! So he basically has all the components of a 350 mag. WITHOUT the cam.
    Merc. selected a good roller cam for their mag. motor, and I'm offering him one at the HUGE price of $20. I believe Merc. rated the motor at 265?hp (250 at prop)with this cam. (It's not a "350hp" cam) Pretty good choice for him if you ask me. Let's hear your parts list, and don't forget the prices.
    He could go with vortec heads if he's on a budget.
    You're saying that adding 1.6 rockers and springs to an otherwise stock 350 will take it from 260 hp to 305hp? Good luck! LOL care to wager?
    By the way, we built our old small blocks incrementally, with fuel system/carb./ ign. upgrades, thru-hull exh., cam/rockers and heads and in the end little 144's. What's your point? We took them as far as we wanted to go and nothing wrong with that.
    Nice having someone argue against a $20 cam, I love the internet

bigkatboat
    First of all, the intake, a well set up carb, springs and THE CORRECT PROP will make a major difference. Those parts along with a quicker (shorter) curve in the distributor advance, without even changing the exhaust, will make a positive difference in the way the boat runs. Mercury has such low valve spring (seat and over the nose) requirements that they know the motor will last 1 year! It won't actually make any power with weak springs and a 5k rev limiter. As for the difference in the cam specs, I have not looked up the cam you are selling, but Merc. uses very small cams anyway. They are so worried about closing the exhaust valve @ zero, (water reversion) that even the "racing motors" have small cams. The 1.6 and springs may not have done "anything" for you, but as described above I know they will work. I'll also be kind and not get into the 'size of blowers' question. (you must have your reasons for doing what you did) As you know the motor must turn faster to make any measureable advance in power, he is probably around 4600/4800 RPMs if it runs half way correct. My changes let the motor hit the rev limiter (and lose very little low end) with a 20 or 21 pitch 3 blade stainless prop. More actual speed, with very little effort.

bigkatboat
    "Mr HP 350 SC" Please tell me your mailing address, so that I may send you $20.00. I hope in my doing so, you will stop crying about the $20.00! I'm not trying to "argue" over a '$20.00 cam', I'm just offering another option. Taking an "out of the box" stock production motor, REALLY tuning and tweaking on it will produce more power than you seem to understand. This along with 'the correct' aftermarket intake, carb, and other parts will make a measureable difference in how the boat runs. I just hate to have this guy tear his motor down and install "THE $20.00 CAM" and then have the same thing he started with, because EVERYTHING ELSE ON THE MOTOR SHOULD BE TUNED TO THE CHANGES MADE INTERNALLY, and you seem to have not mentioned it. Then to top it off, "Mr 84 Camero turbo" says " with 1.6 springs...only 30thousands more lift....not enough to change springs for". The springs are the FIRST PARTS TO CHANGE! The guy has no clue.

HP350SC
    You know, I was just trying to help the guy out with an inexpensive part. Hell I would have given it to him for shipping if he needed it. Unlike you, I believe he does have a clue, as do most of the peeps on this forum. You come across arrogant, like nobody knows anything about advance curves or blower sizes etc.
    Sorry 84camaroturbo, I found a place for the cam. If bigbatboat will bend over, I'll show you.
    I'm done with this thread.

84 camaroturbo
    i didnt mean to start a fight i just had a question. i am not going to change the cam or go with 1.6rockers. and i will explane why on the average 350 car or truck head. it will handle just about 450 to 460lift without coil bind or worry about the seal. so i pulled the rocker of and a spring checked that set of heads will barely hold 440lift the cam in it is 427 lift. i cant even find a stock roller with lift low enough to go in it. I can do the heads i have been turning wrenches for over twelve years. i have been doing machine work for the past three years doing heads and blocks and balance. so i do have a clue like i said i know cars but dont know boats.

Beer-30
    Ah, what the hey. Cut the pockets, LT-1 springs, viton seals, 1.6 rollers.

84 camaroturbo
    i have to many other projects going on right now to take the heads off. then machine them that is one reason i am just going to leave it how it is. until i get other things cought up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12