Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: while i'm at it... rods..

GofastRacer
    Mainly the breakage was from the knurled bolts more than the less material, I mean wtf knurling is a flaw right, lol, when they went to the Boron it helped big time!.. Since the area around the bolt is the same on both rods, with the Waveloc bolts the 3/8 bolt rod is actually stronger with the extra material around the bolts!..

I'm not sure what my app is going to make, some say 500-550. It's a jet with a berk A imp so i'll maybe be turning mid 5000's. My msd box will have a 6000 rpm pill in it too so worst case 6000 rpm.
    Thanks for the info, each day my mind is changing, run the cast iron crank, or buy a cast steel crank and rebalance for 400ish. Today i'm on the run the cast iron crank, but i'm sure tomorrow when i wake up that will change

SmokinLowriderSS
    Shaun, I'm running my stock cast crank, the stock rods, ARP Wave-Loc bolts (not the Pro's, I went a step down, cost/bennefit analysis), still 8.5:1 compression as I had no $$$ for new pistons when the rebuild happened, ARP main studs on a 2-bolt block, lightning headers, Performer RPM Air Gap 2.0 manifold, Isky custom grind cam, making 400HP this summer, and she runs and responds great, and she doesn't make me worry at 5-grand on the tach. There is a difference between building solid, and wasting money. No offence tro the folks who have Carillo this, Callies that, H-beam rods, etc, to run 600/700HP, but IMO, it isn't needed, unless they are spinning scary high RPM. I don't have the budget for top-shelf everything, but it sure would be nice.
    Best of luck to ya my man, however you do it, and remember, if ya aren't careful in the right places, the super-mondo parts can be broken, and they are just more spendy to replace. :cry:

Ya but is it cast steel or cast iron

SmokinLowriderSS
    It's a GM Factory orriginal, circa 1978 casting, so I have every suspicion it's Iron, but I really have no idea, or way to prove it. None of my sourcing books get specific on it.

GofastRacer
    Cast steel is aftermarket, OEM's are cast iron!..

Cast steel is aftermarket, OEM's are cast iron!..
    ahh, i was under the impression that all 4bolt bbc came with cast steel cranks. i think im just going to run it and cross my fingers.

SmokinLowriderSS
    ahh, i was under the impression that all 4bolt bbc came with cast steel cranks. i think im just going to run it and cross my fingers.
    It'll be fine. Your fingers tho, if you're driving crossed, may be another story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12