Thread: critique my audio system

plaidjoe
    I plan to install this system in my boat (21ft. Malibu V-Ride)and would appreciate any feedback or comments.
    4 JL 6450m amplifiers
    2 pair diamond 6 1/2 components (in boat)
    1 JL m101bs-4 10" sub (beneath driver)
    1 pair nvs addiction 10" subs (tower mounted)
    1 pair fusion t series 6.5 components (tower mounted)
    2 optima blue top batteries
    Specific Questions:
    Can I power all this in a boat with a standard alternator?
    Do I need a few capacitors?
    Will it be loud enough?
    Is it ever loud enough?
    Anyone familiar with NVS or know of any other tower mounted sub enclosure?
    Can you buy tower mounted enclosures without speakers?
    Would you want to?
    Anyone have a solid performing audio system in a malibu with an Illusion X tower? (please forward components of system)?
    Thanks for any and all feedback in advance.

TRUMP TIGHT
    It seems like a lot of mixing and matching. I have seen much bigger off a stock alternator but your gonna need some more battery power if you plan on running it with the boat shut off.
    No, its never loud enough!!
    Good luck!

Coach
    I plan to install this system in my boat (21ft. Malibu V-Ride)and would appreciate any feedback or comments.
    4 JL 6450m amplifiers
    2 pair diamond 6 1/2 components (in boat)
    1 JL m101bs-4 10" sub (beneath driver)
    2 optima blue top batteries
    Specific Questions:
    Can I power all this in a boat with a standard alternator?
    Do I need a few capacitors?
    Will it be loud enough?
    Is it ever loud enough?
    Anyone familiar with NVS or know of any other tower mounted sub enclosure?
    Can you buy tower mounted enclosures without speakers?
    Would you want to?
    Anyone have a solid performing audio system in a malibu with an Illusion X tower? (please forward components of system)?
    Thanks for any and all feedback in advance.
    I don't think you will need anything but the NVS speakers for the tower. They are a HLCD speaker which is meant to project very loud for distance. Think Concert speakers when you think of HLCD. It is not a sub but a mid bass with a 1" HLCD tweeter. Check out www.wetsounds.com as they make the same type of speaker as NVS and they have a mount for the illusion X tower. Plus I think you can get a pair for $850 vs $1200 and from all of the review on WakeWorld they are bad ass.
    Your tower speakers paired with a good amp will be very loud.
    Your set up inside the boat is lacking. You will need at least 6 to 8 speakers to get good sound quality in the open air environment. You can get by with 4 speakers, but I think 4 in the cabin and 2 in the bow would be the min that I would run. I think you are you are severly lacking in power. (opps I just read you have 4 amps listed) You want an amp to power the components, a mono amp for the sub and a seperate amp for the tower.
    As for batteries that is a whole can of worms. How do you plan on using your system? Do you run the engine most of the day or do you like to beach the boat and play DJ? If you only play the stereo when you are boating then the 2 blue tops should be fine with a standard Alt. If you do a lot of DJ for everyone I would look into batteries with more Amp Hours. The Trojan 6V run in series are between 200 and 225 depending if you get the AGM or Wet. Or you can get a AGM group 31 that normally is over 100 Ah per battery. I think the blue tops are 55 Ah. Get a good charger or on board charger and charge it up at night.

plaidjoe
    thanks for the comments, sounds as though i really need to consider the power source a little more. any idea were i might come by the trojan batteries you speak of? are the jl marine grade amps better, i thought they might run more efficiently, since jl only offers a two channel that has a tiny 45 watt rms i think i will power my mids in the boat (2 pair) with 2 -4 channel jl m4300 amps bridged. any thoughts appreciated.
    would it be better to run 3 pairs of components with
    3 jl m4300 4 channel amps bridged 150 rms x 6 @ 4 ohm
    or
    2 jl m6450 6 channel apms bridged 150 rms x 6 @4 ohm
    since the jl 6450 is a six channel amp it bridges to 3 channels, will this create any problem with left and right differentiation-maybe wrong word but it seems as though i would have to either put all left speakers on 1 and right on other or be forced to have two left and one right and vice versa. maybe it does not matter only considering this option because i though 2 amps might be more effiecient versus the three. also curious about the 5th and 6th channel on the jl m6450 seem to be more set up for bass, no crossover filter.
    it was clear to me that 150 rms was not enough to power the sub, but the jl M10IB5 10" suggested power is only 150rms. thoughts on the best sub to use since i will only have one.
    new system thoughts
    3 JL m4300 amps- bridged for boat and tower componants
    1 jl m6450- bridged to 3 channel for nvs 10" towers and sub
    2 pair components (in boat), suggestions please.
    1 JL m101bs-4 10" sub (beneath driver) consider changing for larger sub
    2 batteries

Coach
    thanks for the comments, sounds as though i really need to consider the power source a little more. any idea were i might come by the trojan batteries you speak of? are the jl marine grade amps better, i thought they might run more efficiently, since jl only offers a two channel that has a tiny 45 watt rms i think i will power my mids in the boat (2 pair) with 2 -4 channel jl m4300 amps bridged. any thoughts appreciated.
    would it be better to run 3 pairs of components with
    3 jl m4300 4 channel amps bridged 150 rms x 6 @ 4 ohm
    or
    2 jl m6450 6 channel apms bridged 150 rms x 6 @4 ohm
    since the jl 6450 is a six channel amp it bridges to 3 channels, will this create any problem with left and right differentiation-maybe wrong word but it seems as though i would have to either put all left speakers on 1 and right on other or be forced to have two left and one right and vice versa. maybe it does not matter only considering this option because i though 2 amps might be more effiecient versus the three. also curious about the 5th and 6th channel on the jl m6450 seem to be more set up for bass, no crossover filter.
    it was clear to me that 150 rms was not enough to power the sub, but the jl M10IB5 10" suggested power is only 150rms. thoughts on the best sub to use since i will only have one.
    new system thoughts
    3 JL m4300 amps- bridged for boat and tower componants
    1 jl m6450- bridged to 3 channel for nvs 10" towers and sub
    2 pair components (in boat), suggestions please.
    1 JL m101bs-4 10" sub (beneath driver) consider changing for larger sub
    2 batteries
    I am not sure why you want to have the NVS and fusions both on the tower. You only need one or the other. Personally I would get the NVS for pure sound reasons. Check out www.wakeworld.com for more info on the NVS and other tower speakers. As for components I was talking with Adam from Wireed for Sound and he likes the Kicker KS components because they are very durable and you can mount the tweeter inside the cone so you only have to drill one hole. Many of the guys on WakeWorld like the Polk DB or Momo componets or Co-axials. You can run one bigger amp to run all of the components. Run it at 2 ohms and run the speakers in parallel. As for the subs you can run them on one sub as well the same way. 2 ohms and run them in parallel. Run a seperate amp for the NVS. 3 amps total which will cut down on your power usage.
    For price reasons I like the Trojans, you can get more info on their web site or check the internet. I found the AGM for $179 ea so far. Many guys will use Oddessies as well buy they are more expensive.

plaidjoe
    i think i have changed my thinking, to get the power out of the jl amps i wanted i was going to bridge the 4 channel amps giving me 150@4ohm x 2
    i am just about convinced the alpine pdx 4.150 150 @4 or 2 ohm x4, will be better and i won't have as many amps. cost is about the same. any thoughts?

wdl112
    I aggree it seems a little miss matched. As far as putting speakers on the tower the best I have seen is the Wet sounds.
    I have 6 of the X60's from wet sounds on my illusion x tower along with 3 JL 12W7's it is definately one of the loudest boats on the water here in AZ.
    As far as power I have 5 batteries and have had no problems with playing the stereo for hours.
    If it was me I would try and keep everything from the same manufacturers.

mbrown2
    If you are going to run NVS; get at least 400 to 500 per assembly...you won't need the fusions in addition to the NVS as you won't hear them...the NVS will overpower them and pretty much all the other seperates in your boat...but you want the cabin sounds as well. You may want to have controls for the NVS to lower them and a control for the in cabin speakers..
    Go with at least 6 to 8 seperates in the boat and power them with at least 100 to 125 watts per speaker to keep up with the tower (a little bit anyway)...Go with seperates that can handle the power...MB's, Morel's, Diamond's or Focal's...
    As for amps, don't make them work hard or hot...get more amps and run them at 4ohms to feed the tower at 500w per, 100 - 120 for seperates.....JL, Zapco, Alpine PDX, Audison, etc...
    With the NVS, you will need some hard hitting bass...2 subs that can handle 600watts JL 12 W6's or at a minimum a JLW7 12 or 13 running at least 1000 watts to keep up with rest of the system..
    Lots of batteries....at least 3 2120 Odyssey's for the system, or 4 6 Volt Trojans, or a big Submarine battery like a couple of guys run on here...
    I run NVS Entity's, 6 MB Quart Seperates....PG Amps 400 watts to the tower assemblies, another 800watt amp for the seperates and another 600watts powering a JLW6 12"....2 1700 Odyssey batteries...
    After having this for 2 years in a wakesetter LSV....things I would do different....more batteries, another set of seperates, and a JLW7 and 1000watts to the sub at least...just my .02.