Thread: Cracked Steel Rudders Galore

CircleJerk
    Tom or anyone, Is it normal to find a crack in a steel rudder where the shaft is welded to the blade? We are finding too many with similar small cracks as if the weld does not continue all around the shaft. Is this possible? Its not on the flat side of the blade but the very top of the blade where it contacts the stuffing box. Our new rules require the rudder, prop, and prop shaft to be certified free of cracks. The shops up here have never seen so much v-drive stuff to check in ages. Help!! And Tom, thanks for giving us such great advise and good prices! Jerk

V-Drive Tom
    CJERK, With all of these underwater products, the variables are many. Props, struts, and rudders are made from 4130 metal, then welded, shaped and heat-treated, then in many cases re-shaped before they are finished (especially props). Any variable in the welding or the heat-treating can produce a part that may not last as long as we would expect. I know that, more than likely, the rudders and hardware that you guys are having tested is probably 20-30 years old. So, I would not call it common or uncommon. Tom...

Infomaniac
    Thats where they crack. Should be the first place to look.
    Phil Bergeron was telling me they used to require certified welds in some race classes. The welds had to pass an x-ray inspection. Very hard to do and costly.
    [This message has been edited by Infomaniac (edited June 07, 2002).]

A couple of years ago I was running my Hondo sprint flat. I'm not sure if a hit a log but I lost the rudder right above the welds. I was fortunate enough that the boat went straight.
    After I got the boat back on the trailer you could see where it had cracked & had been rusting until it finnally broke off.
    EVERYONE NEEDS TO CHECK THERE UNDERWATER GEAR.
    Morg

CircleJerk
    Thanks guys, We're learning up here the hard way! But it's better to find out now than later. The magnafluxing rule was not very popular this winter and everyone put it off as long as they could so they're now in a panic! We found three bad rudders and two bad prop shafts that could have resulted in some mishaps or "doinks" is that correct usage? I just talked to Keven S. and it seems the magazine is interested in doing an article about us so that way I can share some pictures of our oldies to youall! Tom, wish your Hondo was here, our first race will have temps in the 86-90 range!!! or was that a gull Sanger? There are two Sanger Circle Runner bottoms coming. Never seen one before, Have a great summer of v-driving and thanks for the good parts prices! Still looking for a used R.H. 10-llX15 prop. CJerk