Thread: Speaker wire

1stepcloser
    As if there arent enough controversial threads aleready...
    I would like some ideas abouot speaker wire.
    I'm doing an install in my truck. I want to run the smallest gauge as is reasonable to route through the doors.
    No alot of power here, 75 watts at max. the runs are gonna be from behind the rear seat forward to the front doors.
    I need to stuff three seperate wires in each door, so space is kind of crowded.
    What do you installer guys recommend?

rivercrazy
    16 gauge is more than enough.
    But install a capacitor in line with the speaker wires!

Tom Brown
    I prefer to use silicone jacket speaker wire. It's more flexible and will lay flat without kinking all to hell like plastic jacket wire.
    I've used wire from tons of manufacturers. The spool I'm using right now is 'RCA' brand. Seriously.

rivercrazy
    Copper is copper.

Tom Brown
    Copper is copper.
    No argument here.
    I'll leave the 'which wire sounds best' argument for the guys who think they can improve their sound by properly breaking in their remote batteries.

jbone
    No argument here.
    I'll leave the 'which wire sounds best' argument for the guys who think they can improve their sound by properly breaking in their remote batteries.
    What is the break in period for remote batteries. My last set went dead. I think it was because I failed to break in properly.
    J

1stepcloser
    16 gauge is more than enough.
    But install a capacitor in line with the speaker wires!
    Copy that Iceman.
    But I digress, there are no cap's in this install. I do though, have a nifty cable junction block.

1stepcloser
    I prefer to use silicone jacket speaker wire. It's more flexible and will lay flat without kinking all to hell like plastic jacket wire.
    I've used wire from tons of manufacturers. The spool I'm using right now is 'RCA' brand. Seriously.
    My boats has 200' of RCA speaker wire, courtesy of Home Depot. http://www.***boat.net/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
    However, it seems a bit bulky to squeeze 3 of them through an already crowded door flex tube.
    I'm thinking about 18 gauge. I havent been too succesful finding silicone jacketed.
    I'm not real particular with regards to brand names and shit. I'm using welding cable for power supply, hell I've used lamp cord for speakers.
    Mostly I'm bored, and thought I could start a nice conversation with friends, and pick up a couple of ideas.
    Like the silicone jacket, for example. Thanks Tom, you're a peach.