Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pan Drain Plug Elbow ??

El Prosecutor
    My oil drain plug sits about 1.5" over the bottom of the bilge. I bought a Fram EZ Drain which is great but the fitting is too long to fit in the space I have. If I had an elbow coming out of the oil pan it would work perfectly. Does anyone know where I can get an elbow fitting for the oil pan with 1/2-20 threads?

tahitijet
    are u sure it's 1/2-20 and not NPT? mine was npt

El Prosecutor
    are u sure it's 1/2-20 and not NPT? mine was npt
    Yep. Unfortunately it is not NPT - they are much easier to find elbows for. I found a pipe fitting that goes in the hole, but the tapered thread isn't exactly the same and I don't want to mess up the threads in the oil pan.

Squirtin Thunder
    My oil drain plug sits about 1.5" over the bottom of the bilge. I bought a Fram EZ Drain which is great but the fitting is too long to fit in the space I have. If I had an elbow coming out of the oil pan it would work perfectly. Does anyone know where I can get an elbow fitting for the oil pan with 1/2-20 threads?
    The problem with those is they are very slow draining, even with hot oil.
    I just let the oil drain over night.

Cas
    check these out
    Oil drains (http://www.tewco.com/fumoto.shtml)
    I have one on all my vehicles. As far as draining the oil out of the boat, it's pretty quick and easy. I open the valve up and use my compressor to pressurize the block. I plug the breather on one side and I made an adaptor for the other. Hook the air nozzle up, add a little air and the block is drained within about 2 minutes.....quick and easy.

Cas
    oh yea, Tewco also makes really nice custom cables.

El Prosecutor
    Those look great but unfortunately if I use one all the oil drains into the bilge and I have to suck it out with a shop vac, which works but is messy. There is no room for any kind of pan or funnel to catch the oil. If I can find an elbow to fit I could install a valve AND a drainage line. I have plenty of room horizontally, just no more than about 1.5" vertical space under the oil pan.

Cas
    I've got a drain line on the boat that is long enough to go out through the drain hole in the pump. Once outside the boat, I put the end into a 3 gal bucket.

El Prosecutor
    I've got a drain line on the boat that is long enough to go out through the drain hole in the pump. Once outside the boat, I put the end into a 3 gal bucket.
    How is yours attached to the oil pan?

Cas
    How is yours attached to the oil pan?
    take the plug out and replace it with the drain valve. The ones I have are 90's. For the first draining, I just put a rag in the bilge and worked quick with real cold oil in the pan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast