Thread: Need GM Crate Motor Advice

Cr80rbRider
    Hey Guys,
    I'm putting an older '82 Keaton Ski Boat through a restoration this winter, and I'm at the point of picking out a new crate motor. The original 350 SBC hasn't been rebuilt since it was new so needless to say the the motor is on it's last leg, and it definitely runs like it so I figure I might as well just pick up a new GM Performance Crate Motor instead of a rebuild, and just switch over the marine parts to the new motor. I'm pretty stuck between the choice of a carbuerated 350 or the ram-jet 350. Keep in mind that this boat is used for skiing, mainly set-up for wakeboarding so the right motor choice is crucial. Preferable it needs a lot of torque for pulling up the skier, etc, but I'd also like to have somewhat of a powerful engine that revs up to around 5 grand which both engines do. I'm trying to figure out if FI would be the way to go for reliablity, because I've had numerous problems with carbs. Any information, adivce, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here's the two links to the motors that I'm considering. Thanks, -Matt http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...28&prmenbr=361
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...35&prmenbr=361

Cr80rbRider
    Also figure I should add that I've had many problems with the motor loading up and basically throwing up all over itself. The motor would run excellent for around an 1hr pulling skiers, and then basically it starts throwing up all over itself. It would idle fine, and then when put into gear would completely die under its own load. This took place after a carb rebuild as well, and this problem has been plaguing us forever so were looking to get away from that. Need something reliable that'll run excellent when under a load, because the regular speed is around 20-25mph-2,100rpm when pulling a skier so something that can do that all day without any problem is what I need. Thanks....

DaveA
    I bought a GM Performance ZZ3 350 and installed it in the family I/O running an Alpha outdrive w/1.50:1 gears. Replaced a Mercruiser 260, 4bbl QJet and Merc T-bolt ignition. Swapped the carb, dist, waterpump over to the ZZ3, replaced the freeze plugs, hooked everything up and have put 350 hrs on it wakeboarding, skiing, idling around the lake, etc. with NO trouble. Has the hydraulic roller cam, aluminum heads, big valves etc. and really woke the ole' sled up. Torque range is right on, tachs 4800 rpm, max torque is 3800, I think. Rated at 342 hp @ around 5200 rpm.
    Hot Boat did an article back in the early nineties on doing a V6 to ZZ3 swap in a Checkmate, and that gave me the bug to do it instead of rebuilding the freeze-dried 260 MC.
    Absolutely no regrets. I've thought alot about swapping the QJet for a Holley, but never get the nerve to mess with it, since it runs so well now. Did get a little cold-natured due to no choke stove, but I just let it warm up at a high idle til the temp comes up, then it's fine.
    Try the ZZ4 specs and see if you like them. It replaced the ZZ3.
    DaveA

Cr80rbRider
    Thanks Dave, that's what I was looking to hear. I like the sounds of 350hrs with no problems! I'll check out the ZZ4, but after a talk with my friend who will be doing the restoration said crate motors are definitely the way to go, and he recomended fuel injection due to easier set-up, etc. Looks like I may be stuck on the GM performance ram-jet 350. Thanks again for the help. -Matt