Thread: Pre lubing a BBC

Taylorman
    A friend of mine just built a BBC and is pre lubing it by spinning the oil pump with a drill. He said that the oil would not go to the top of the motor because he did not have a distributor installed. He said something about the oil going to the top of the motor passes between the o-rings on the distributor to get to the top end of the motor. So he is getting a distributor plug to use to lube it. Does this make sense?
    On my 455 i just used a socket and extension on my drill to spin the oil pump and it oiled the whole engine. Is a BBC different?

Daytona100
    My pre-luber has a small aluminum housing that fits in the block just like a distributer go,s into the block.

A friend of mine just built a BBC and is pre lubing it by spinning the oil pump with a drill. He said that the oil would not go to the top of the motor because he did not have a distributor installed. He said something about the oil going to the top of the motor passes between the o-rings on the distributor to get to the top end of the motor. So he is getting a distributor plug to use to lube it. Does this make sense?
    On my 455 i just used a socket and extension on my drill to spin the oil pump and it oiled the whole engine. Is a BBC different?
    Hey Taylor...
    i thought u knew everything! LOL ...anyways...i use a set-up similar to urs...a flat blade screwdriver welded to a socket that fits over the pump shaft & into the slot...i also use a 1/2" drill to spin it...DON'T forget to spin it (the drill) in reverse
    fastrat

Taylorman
    I use an old gutted point dist. That way you get oil to the rockers...
    What do you mean by this. If you dont use a distributor it won't lube the top of the motor? Why not?

What do you mean by this. If you dont use a distributor it won't lube the top of the motor? Why not?
    Taylor...
    i havent a clue...i use what u use & it oils everything just fine ...i suppose if u have an old points dist...it would work better...as far as which way to spin it...there was a thread on here not long ago, that said to spin it in reverse
    fastrat

Moneypitt
    Taylor...
    i havent a clue...i use what u use & it oils everything just fine ...i suppose if u have an old points dist...it would work better...as far as which way to spin it...there was a thread on here not long ago, that said to spin it in reverse
    fastrat
    Chevy??
    Only if it a reverse rotation engine out of a dual engine cruiser.....or an Olds, or a Mopar BB. There may be others that rotate CCW, but Chebbys aint one of 'em...............MP

GofastRacer
    If you look at the distributor just above the gear, there is a slot in the body that is part of the oil passage, and if that's not there you will have a major leak and you won't even build up pressure, aftermarket tools have a dummy piece on the shaft for that, I just make one out of an old distributor!..
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...ump_Primer.jpg

Beer-30
    Shirley FASTRAT was just joking about the reversing the drill thing. I hope.

Shirley FASTRAT was just joking about the reversing the drill thing. I hope.
    My apologies for giving out the wrong info ...i know there was a thread in 1 of the forums about pre-oiling engs & i could have read it wrong...i know it said to use a 1/2" drill cause of the torque to turn the shaft...i guess i'll just shut up from now on, that way no1 gets bad info from me
    fastrat