Thread: what plugs to run?

eek-a-RAT
    i have a 454 chevy with mallory MSD #6200 (red alum. box) w/ mallory promaster coil #28720 w/ mallory distributer #8461 (no points-electronic)
    it had autolite plugs #24 in it.
    what plugs should i run in this or what would yall recommend. i am a chevy man, i want to put some ac-delco plugs like r45ts. all you bbc owners, what do you run.

poncho-pwr
    I like NGKs and run them in almost everything I build. You probably need something in a BPR5 or BPR6 heat range. Can you tell us more about your engine? What compression, what heads are you running and how many rpms?

james
    Chevy recomends running a cooler plug. I suggest AC Delco RX42L. What kind of gas are you running AV or Reg. If you need to know now what to run just call Phil Bergeron at 480-834-1531. He does all my work and Im very happy with results. :rollside:

eek-a-RAT
    the motor is not that pist. i run 91 octane, its a harmman marine 454, im lookin @ 8.5 to 9.0 to 1 ratio. im guesstimating @ 375 horse. o/t wettys w/ 800cfm carb with a air gap intake manifold. the heads? i know there circle port, other than that without ripping it down. i can buzz @ 4500rpm all day, but when i punch it with the mech. secondaries open, i can hit a lil over 6000rpms.
    thanks

RCB19
    You are fine with your Autolite 24's. It's a good plug and the right heat range for your app.

Cas
    I've always run the r45ts without any issues.

eek-a-RAT
    i went & bought some delcos, r43ts. whats the worst case scenario for runnin to cold of a plug. i know what happens when to hot, inquiring minds want to know :idea:

Cas
    With a plug that's too cold, carbon fouling may occur.
    Here's a pretty good site with info and pictures
    Spark Plug Analysis (http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html)

DUCKY
    Chock one more up for NGK's I run them in everything I own....Including my diesel pickup....