Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodge tranny issues

PHX ATC
    So there I was, 10000 feet MSL, at Brian Head, UT's ski resort towing my "new" boat on an excursion that I didn't need to be doing.
    Towing the boat slowly up 15 percent grades, in the "tow/haul" mode and the tranny starts hunting for gears, bucking, and banging around. I'm not sure if the torque converter was slipping or locking and unlocking.
    I pulled over for 30 minutes and let it cool down (see story in Sandbar under Sea Ray questions) and then it drove fine the rest of the way home (to Phoenix). The EGT didn't get above 1000 and the engine temp was 210ish at the most.
    I'm wondering if it just didn't get too hot and then start acting up. Any ideas, comments, or such?
    2004 Dodge Cummins TD, auto tranny, 4x4, 3.73 rear gears, Edge EZ

OldYeller
    tranny cooler, trany cooler, tranny cooler. The engine temp may be fine, but the trans could have been cooking. I would also put a tranny temp guage on. This is exactly why I buy manual transmissions -- bulletproof!!!

PHX ATC
    Yeah, yeah, momma's truck... I started out with a 2001 CTD HO with the 6 speed...sigh.
    It has the stock tranny cooler (which routes through the radiator I think) but nothing else. I think a flush might be in order and a tranny temp gauge.

YeLLowBoaT
    tranny cooler, trany cooler, tranny cooler. The engine temp may be fine, but the trans could have been cooking. I would also put a tranny temp guage on. This is exactly why I buy manual transmissions -- bulletproof!!!
    'til the clutch goes...

gsb_77_xl
    Not to be mean or negative towards Dodges or thier owners, but the transmissions they put in the Diesel trucks are WAAAAAAAAYYY under engineered. The Allisons that GM uses cant be beat IMO. Installing a tranny cooler wont hurt though.

soupersonic
    First of all the 3.73's were made for the manual tranny,the 4.10 were made for the auto. Secondly , smell the fluid to see if its burnt and go from there.Third,check for codes,you may have a bad brake switch that caused the convertor to lock,unlock,lock,thinking the brakes were being applied.And lastly manually shift thru the gears when pulling a steep grade slowly like that,put it in tow/haul and first gear to about 2200 rpm then hit second and so on when starting out.Let us know what you find out.

H2oracer
    First of all the 3.73's were made for the manual tranny,the 4.10 were made for the auto. Secondly , smell the fluid to see if its burnt and go from there.Third,check for codes,you may have a bad brake switch that caused the convertor to lock,unlock,lock,thinking the brakes were being applied.And lastly manually shift thru the gears when pulling a steep grade slowly like that,put it in tow/haul and first gear to about 2200 rpm then hit second and so on when starting out.Let us know what you find out.
    I have a 2003 2wd diesel with auto and it has 3.73 gears.

soupersonic
    Im sure it pulls what you want it to just fine,the reason i stated that was the cummins engine has a sweet spot of 2000-2200 rpm and the final drive ratio of the auto with the 4.10 gears is a perfect match to keep the rpm's higher,same goes for the 3.73's and the 6 speeds they are better matched.

PHX ATC
    I smelled the tranny fluid while stuck at the top of the mountain and it didn't smell burnt at all. I am taking it in Wednesday for a looksee and tranny flush anyway.
    I will report my findings.
    I had it in tow/haul mode the entire spin up the mountain and most of the way home unless it was flat and I could hold 75 mph, keeping the rpm at a minimum of 2000. I wouldn't let it get down below 2000rpm, whether I was climbing or cruising.
    Does the tranny pan have a bung (no comment ) for a cooler temp probe? I've never looked and am too lazy to crawl under there tonight.

soupersonic
    The best thing to do is get a replacement line for the trans cooler that has a fitting in it for the gauge probe. Try these guys www.massdiesel.com it thinks its about $90 for the new line and you will get the most accurate readings from there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast