Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: turbos and timing

HP350SC
    Interesting points turbonova and ttmott. I have not used one of these, and don't know of anyone that has yet. Supposedly cartech and others use them on turbo stuff? Knock sensors work great on EFI stuff right?
    TN- Seems like a knock sensor would be at least as reliable as a pressure sensor for boost? I do know I have replaced tons of pressure sensors, and have never replaced a knock sensor. Just thinking out loud so don't get me wrong According to their website, the module has algorithm's to differentiate between knock and other noises. Might be marketing hype though.
    ttmott- curious what would make a carbureted application worse IYO?

ttmott
    Historically knock sensors have been designed specifically around an engine block, heads, etc. so it was "tuned" to transmit a high amplitute signature at a specific shock. Every engine configuration has different mass, natural frequency, different materials, different systems like cams that transmit their own shock signatures. I really doubt that anyone has developed an algorithm that is suitable for any sensor; there are hundreds of sensors out there. One would have to trial and error sensor after sensor and then understand if the sensor is showing detonation of something else. I gave up on it.
    Carb setups are anything but consistent in fuel distribution for each cylinder consequently I believe that running a carb'd engine on the edge there is inherent knock occuring infrequently and randomly which one may not want to retard the timing as a result. This is the really big reason why carbureted turbo setups are hard to setup on the edge; I've gernaded my share. FI is another story.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123