Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: hyd flat tappet vs hyd roller tappet

john
    (454) i just wasted my cam last weekend it was a hyd flat tappet looking at a hyd roller tappet wondering how much power/torque etc and is the break in the same if it worth the etc etc etc money it cost. thanks in advance

IMPATIENT 1
    (454) i just wasted my cam last weekend it was a hyd flat tappet looking at a hyd roller tappet wondering how much power/torque etc and is the break in the same if it worth the etc etc etc money it cost. thanks in advance
    yes yes yes yes yes, go roller when ever ya can!

ultra tweaker
    Yes, go roller!!!!!! The cam can have a more agressive profile, the ramp is steeper and you will have less resistance in the lifters. If you pull the plug just make sure you buy Comp Cams endura lifters. Another bonus of the roller cam is most of the time when things go bad the cam is still good. You don't want to know how I know this.

poncho-pwr
    Break in on a roller cam is a non issue. Run the hell out of it.

springerpete
    Go with the Hydraulic roller it is worth about 25-45 hp over the flat tappet cam. I am running the comp cams 290hr and love it. The midrange is great!

john
    Yes, go roller!!!!!! The cam can have a more agressive profile, the ramp is steeper and you will have less resistance in the lifters. If you pull the plug just make sure you buy Comp Cams endura lifters. Another bonus of the roller cam is most of the time when things go bad the cam is still good. You don't want to know how I know this.
    i think i might know what ur talking about i now have three dome lifters and four flat lobes.

john
    Break in on a roller cam is a non issue. Run the hell out of it.
    thats what i was told with the hyd flat and i did not take out the second spring to much in a hurry and boom sh*t breaks. $400.00 down the drain (flush)

poncho-pwr
    Well, I don't know who told you not to worry about break in on a hyd flat tappet cam but they aren't very bright! Most of the time in my opinion it is an oil issue that causes the trouble on the solid and hydraulic flat tappet set ups. I put in about 10-12 flat tappets a month and never have any trouble if the customer does what I say to do on break in.

SmokinLowriderSS
    thats what i was told with the hyd flat and i did not take out the second spring to much in a hurry and boom sh*t breaks. $400.00 down the drain (flush)
    There's what got ya. I would have liked to have gone roller, but to make only 500 or so HP NA, I couldn't justify in my budget the 2X+ cost ($900+ against $400). I ran outer springs only tho (as advised) for almost 10 hrs, and am running her like mad. 2 yrs and perfect still.

Blown 472
    Better pull the motta down and clean and check everything.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast