Thread: Knock sensor

jamessampica
    I'm thinking about installing a knock sensor on my BBC and i need some help on how and where does it go on the motor.Any help or pic's would be helpful.
    Thank you
    Jim

JAY4SPEED
    Usually, on the older motors, knock sensors go where the drain plugs are at the bottom of the water jackets on the side of the block just next to where motor mounts go. You install the knock sensors instead of drain plugs. You running EFI?
    Jay

Unchained
    The guy I bought the Daytona from also has a Skater race boat w/twin 14.71 blown 572s in it and they had the knock sensors on the front of the block below the intake manifold.

jamessampica
    Jay i'm running a mechanical fuel injection.It's blown and injected.Where's the best place to buy one and the price.Jeg's has a MSD unit for $139.99.Can it be screwed in one of the motor mounting hole's?Since we don't use them.Well i'm running a gear drive on mine.
    JIM

Big Kahunaa
    make sure the blower wont f with it i know gear drives do

CcanDo
    Blowers wont mess with them, and neither will gear drives - that is a myth. If you have the proper pickup, and the control box allows for sensitivity adjustment your set. We did a comparison between Carane digital Hi 6 ignition box, and MSD 6m over several days on a Dyno at Boyd's Racing Engines in Oklahoma City. The Crane box was the winner hands down when used with an Anson knock sensor system. Not only can you set rev limits. but also, the Anson system manages timing very, very well. The proper location for a knock senser pickup is where it can hear the most - ie. center of engine in lifter tunnel (not my opinion - industry wide consensus).

svt2224
    I used a J&S safeguard on my turbo mustang and had great luck with it. It is compatable with any ignition box, has adjustable sensitivity and retard rate, as well as a boost referenced retard feature.http://www.jandssafeguard.com/ (http://http://www.jandssafeguard.com/)

cruser
    Ccando
    I've been looking for an Anson knock retard system to use with my crane ignition box. that's what Crane recommends. Haven't found one yet. Do you know where I can get one?
    ry

JAY4SPEED
    Jay i'm running a mechanical fuel injection.It's blown and injected.Where's the best place to buy one and the price.Jeg's has a MSD unit for $139.99.Can it be screwed in one of the motor mounting hole's?Since we don't use them.Well i'm running a gear drive on mine.
    JIM
    I was speaking in context of OEM GM knock sensors. The threaded ends are tapered like a pipe plug. Now, I'm not very familiar with the aftermarket setups. One of the other guys may have to chime in on that one.
    The proper location for a knock senser pickup is where it can hear the most - ie. center of engine in lifter tunnel (not my opinion - industry wide consensus).
    GM was putting the knock sensors in the lifter valley for a while (Gen 3 engines). I have always been told that was the best place to detect spark knock also. However, since the advent of the DOD (displacement on demand), they have moved them back to the sides of the block because of the valve unloading system takes up too much room in the lifter valley. Its a really cool system on how it works. But, I agree with CcanDo inside the lifter valley is the best place.(Back to the topic)
    The knock sensor is basically a Peizo electric microphone that will produce an AC signal that varies in frequency and amplitude in according to engine vibration and noise level. In my opinion, the closer you can get the sensor centrally located on the engine is the best chance of detecting detonation equally from all cylinders. I wouldn't mount my knock sensor to the front of the motor, but that's just me. I'd rather have it in the middle of 3/5 and 4/6 cylinders i.e. coolant drain plug area. The aftermarket system may be different, however, I'd like to know how the aftermarket system is different if it is and how if anyone knows. Are the sensor threads tapered or straight? I do know that the tuneable control box is a must for filtering out normal engine noise that may inadvertantly trigger the knock sensor and have it take out some timing. Do the aftermarket system take out timing one degree at a time or in chunks of degrees (like OEM systems) until the knock is gone?
    Hope some of my rambling may be useful
    Jay

CcanDo
    Cruser-
    We have two used spare Anson systems advertised on the following link:http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-11601.html
    I have Ansons phone number at my office - I will try to post it here tomorrow.
    BTW, we looked the other knock systems very carefully - both features and on the dyno. We have in the past and will continue to use the Anson system.