Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for buying a boat

funkybunchjr
    5 years ago I got a 76 Taylor SS, back then I didn't know much about boats (it was my first one). It ended up being a pile of $hit, the port side stringer was cracked the pump was trash and so on. The next season I sold the boat. I have gone for a few rides in nice jet boats sense then, and I would really like another one. A good friend has a very nice 79 SJ for sale, but I don't know if that's what I want. What would you guys look for in a used jet (brand, hull, pump, ect). I would like something that rides somewhat smooth, that still handles speed well too. I'm looking to spend about 70% of time screwing around the lake and 30% drag racing. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Funky

bergen
    just remember what b o a t means = brake -out-another-thousand

funkybunchjr
    I learned that the hard way, I know now that most of them are money pits.

STRETCH
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...J/2f0a53f3.jpg
    The deeper hulls, you may well know, give excellent rides and handle rougher water better than the shallow ones. The Taylor LP (white boat in forground, 1997 model) is probably the best of both, deeper V and can handle the horses you add to the fire. If you get a chance to ride in one, you'll be pleasantly suprised. That and the fact that Taylors are pretty common in the midwest, you might find a decent one for a good deal. Taylor sold the mold in the eighties and the LP has been made as recently as 03 by Wyatt Boats. Saw an 02 model in OKC for sale that was immaculate...15000 practically brand new. If the LP doesn't suite you, the SC (orange boat in pic) will fit the bill your looking for as well.
    Lotsa mini daycruisers out there as well that I would love to have, Sanger, Hawiians and the likes, would make great cruisers that haul A$$.
    just my 2 cents

atxwrangler
    i'm in texas also,you need to check out texas***boats.com .i personally like the rogers hulls,but,there are a lot of good boats out there.how much are you willing to spend???? we can find you something nice!do you want a family boat,race boat,ski boat,cruiser or what? here is a good one!!! http://www.***boat.net/forums/showth...ghlight=rogers

funkybunchjr
    I would like to spend less than 10k. I'm looking for a family/race ride. I would like something that can carry me and 1-2 other people around the lake, but can still do 80-90 when I stomp a hole in the floor.

atxwrangler
    you will have to find a good deal to get a 90mph jet for 10,000. it's not impossible,but, you have your work cut out for you.you might be looking for a kustom craft tx19, or a youngblood hull!they are fast,roomy,and very lakable!

atxwrangler
    this boat was for sale in east eexas for 5,000 less motor,pm me if you want the guy's number! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...86DSC00991.JPG

STRETCH
    you will have to find a good deal to get a 90mph jet for 10,000. it's not impossible,but, you have your work cut out for you.you might be looking for a kustom craft tx19, or a youngblood hull!they are fast,roomy,and very lakable!
    Very true, those hulls FLY and look awesome doing it.
    If you'r looking for a good deal, contact IMPATIENT1 on this board, he's gotta flying SJ for sale that is at a great price. He's a motivated seller as well. high 70 MPH SJ that needs very little and is around half of what your budget limit is.

funkybunchjr
    Thanks guys, I will keep this in mind. I would be very happy with a clean sled that will do 60+. I have been building engines for years and would probably want to end up running my own in a season or two after purchase. It will be another 6 months or more before I can pull the trigger on the boat, I just wanted to start looking now. I have been known to make impulse buys before and I know I would be much happier if I take my time with this one!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast