Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Spider BIG SPIDER

2Driver
    Taking the trash out and as I am dumping the bag in the can I look to my right and at eye level 12" away :2purples: :2purples:
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...47DCP_2067.JPG

core attitude
    What was he doing with the penny? I say make a coin purse.

blown428fe
    Did you smash it? What kind is it? Damn....

Nord
    F-THAT!!!!
    I'd move......
    ~NORD~

Cheap Thrills
    Tarantula ??? I've heard they can launch those little hairs on it's abdomen and cause some moderate to severe nasal discomfort not to mention a set of fangs that could be used for sewing leather.
    C.T. :wink:

hoolign
    Looks like a Mexican Red Hair tarantula..harmless. the real bitch is when they flick their ass hairs at you..itchy muthas!

uvindex
    you have got to be kidding:jawdrop:From entomology.cornell.edu:
    "Third, tarantulas from the New World have developed another very effective defensive behavior. When threatened, they rapidly scrape special hairs, called urticating hairs, from the back and sides of their abdomens into the eyes, nose, or lungs of their vertebrate predators. The hairs have a variety of shapes and are coated with irritating chemicals that cause itchy skin or irritated membranes. I have known of several people who have gotten the urticating hairs of tarantulas in their eyes and have needed surgery to have them removed. This is the most serious risk that you are likely to experience with your spiders. Some species are more likely than others to flick hairs."

2Driver
    I would not have been poking him. I woke him up from being in a ball to get the pic. Lucky for me he was in a non-hair throwing mood. :rollside: I left him there thinking he eats a bunch of things I really don't want around.
    Hope I don't find him in the truck while going down the freeway :supp:

Riomouse911
    Ya, I used to work in a pet store that sold birds, spiders, snakes, lizards etc. The tarantula can bite, which is a painful hornet-sting type wound, and they'll flick the rear legs over their abdomens and throw hair around. It feels like the fiberglass fibers that get stuck in your skin when installing insulation.
    You could tell a "nervous" spider because the abdomen would often be bald due to this behavior.. we never liked going into those cages to clean them.

PHX ATC
    Harmless, let him be.
    He'll probably do more good by scaring away and eating the other buggies at your house than harm.
    Make him a little condo with his new penny!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast