Thread: what Distributor

marty722
    I want to upgrade my old Distributor that has points. Which product would you go for that won't cost an arm and a leg? What other parts do I need also to go along with it? I've been out of eng work for along time and want to learn more about the new stuff..... Thanks :cry: :cry:

GofastRacer
    If it's a Chevy points unit, you can get an Accel conversion for $60 from Summitt, a real simple deal!..

marty722
    a 454 indmar.. thanks

I want to upgrade my old Distributor that has points. Which product would you go for that won't cost an arm and a leg? What other parts do I need also to go along with it? I've been out of eng work for along time and want to learn more about the new stuff..... Thanks :cry: :cry:
    another suggestion other than GFR's is to go to a wrecking yard & get a HEI distributer SBC/BBC & add the 50k volt coil & ur good to go...about $20-25...just my .02 cents
    fastrat

73BBC
    I have a 454 Indmar, as well, and if yours is like mine, you have a Prestolite distributor. There are low-cost conversion kits available for the Prestolites from skidim.com or other marine parts suppliers.
    You can also get a complete electronic conversion from Indmar in Corona, CA for about $375. This includes a new distributor, plug wires, electrical harness, etc. MSD sells a marine distributor, also. Theirs is a complete distributor, but doesn't include plug wires or a coil ( the GM unit from Indmar includes a coil) for about the same price as the GM/Indmar kit.