Anyone else have a problem with this. I believe they are talking about illegals re-entering the country. Then will we welcome them back with open arms. They are talking about three million people here!!!!! And we wonder why the schools and medical fields are overburdened.
If you are here legally I welcome you with open arms but if not...............
Found in todays Havasu News:
Mexico says returning migrants complaining of corruption
By Ioan Grillo
Friday, December 16, 2005 5:02 PM MST
MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexican migrants returning home from the United States laden with money and Christmas presents have complained of being harassed, extorted or robbed by Mexican police and customs officials, the government announced Friday.
Since Nov. 1, the government has received 28 complaints from migrants, about 20 percent higher than during the same period last year, said Florencia Martinez, head of the Paisano Program, a government effort to clamp down on corrupt public officials and to welcome migrants home for the holidays.
Martinez attributed the increase to migrants becoming more aware of their rights and initiatives that have made it easier to file a complaint - and not to more corruption.
“We are receiving more complaints and this pleases me, because it means that our countrymen are becoming braver,” Martinez said. “Seven years ago, (migrants) said why should I complain when nothing happens and there could be repercussions.”
This year, Mexican consulates in the United States have handed out more than a million leaflets detailing migrants' rights.
Any agent who is found guilty of wrongdoing will be fired and prosecuted, Martinez said. Last year, authorities fired 15 officials after migrants filed complaints, she said.
The Mexican government estimates that more than 3 million Mexicans will return home from the United States between November and January. About 1 million have already made the trip, Martinez said.
Returning migrants often carry large quantities of cash and gifts for their families.
This year, the Paisano Program, which first started in 1989, also includes undercover agents to ensure nobody is shaken down for bribes at airports or border crossings.
More than 1,000 volunteers, including many students and retirees, are also going to border posts to keep an eye on officials and give advice to migrants.
President Vicente Fox has trumpeted the program in television spots and has said he will make trips to border areas so he can personally ensure that public servants are welcoming migrants back without problems.