Thread: What are these three disks fell from the block?

Hollis
    some one please lend their oppinion! I finally got my checkmate 460 out of storage and found what I think are three frost plug disks laying in the bottom of the boat. Yes there are three round holes in the engine block full of sand...
    What do I do now..? can I push the disks back in?
    How do I get the sand out..? Please reply.I think I did not drain enough water from the block last winter.

Havasu Hangin'
    Sounds like the freeze plugs got frozen...hope the block didn't crack
    Get the sand out.

HammerDown
    Well yes those are the "freeze plugs" that came out...Now the question is...is the Block damaged??? (cracked)...the freeze plugs did what they were suspposed to to...but was there any damage from the expanding ice in the block.
    Are the freeze plugs Brass or steel? The sand in the block is a no-no...that causes hot spots in the motor...I would try to back flush it out.
    It's a hard call if your block is cracked...I cant say...but I always fill mine with Antifreeze for the winter down months.

Hollis
    The plugs are steel,about 1 1/4" in diameter. can I just push them back in after cleaning out the sand..? or should I pull the engine?
    Thankyou so much for replying. cry

Get some new ones preferably brass construction from the auto parts store. Dont reuse the old steel ones. If you can flush the sand out and tap them back in without removing the engine do it. If not, you may have to raise the engine up. You need to get the sand out which means you likely need to remove the rest the freeze plugs and flush throughly both sides.
    Sand = cooling problems and overheating.

Snowboat
    Check to see if there are hairline, horizontal cracks, under the holes. There will probably be some rust seeping from the cracks. Hope there isn't. I don't know how long you have had your boat. Draining all water and then and sucking antifreeze up through the pickup, and through out the engine and ALL plumbing, will give better piece of mind.

spectras only
    Hollis, hopefully the block didn't crack eek! .The best thing to do with the 460 is to bore the drainplug holes and tap it for a male brass fitting that accepts a garden hose.That way you can reverse flush the block more often,especially if you running often in shallow water .Use a sealer on the new brass plugs [you can find those even at any home depot wink ].If you keep your boat outside during winter ,it's a good idea to fill the block with antifreeze as others mentioned.Taking the exhaust manifolds off [log type] also a good idea while in winter storage.
    [ June 11, 2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

28ss
    not to sound like a ass but technicaly there not called freeze plugs. they are core plugs. not designed to protect block in case of freezing. just used to get sand from casting out. sorry for busting chops. I know lots of places sell them as frezze plugs

superdave013
    Better check the water jackets in your exhaust manifolds for cracks too.
    Sounds like someone didn't drain things before last winter.