Thread: Drive Seal and Packing Unit

What is going on here guys? I noticed a little grease starting to come out of the drive seal on my last trip but this seems a little excessive. The drive seal should be brand new since I had the pump rebuilt in the winter. Could a loose packing unit cause this? Or has someone just gotten a little happy with the grease?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/..._DriveSeal.jpg
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...DriveSeal1.jpg

Jet Hydro
    little happy with the grease gun.

centerhill condor
    what he said... my book calls for 40 pumps per month or 10 hours...that stuff gets everywhere so I go with 10 pumps. If you put it in it has to come out! Yea, I know sounds sexier than it is!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    You should be happy to see that!!! You know damn well that its greased!!! Its better to be over greased than to hane NO grease Just wipe her clean and keep running

Mine used to do that . Your seal is either blown or they just got a little crazy either way I cant see that bein bad.

centerhill condor
    what kind of grease is that anyway? I use this ultra superior marine grease with new and improved molecular sonso...yours red?

IMPATIENT 1
    mine does it too, seals are fresh.i've just seen to many pics here on ***boat of bearing failure and i put in way to much grease everytime!i've learned to wait 4 trips out and add 3pumps, it'll just barely oozes some past the seals then.

victorfb
    jerry, that grease is coming from your bearing/housing and the seal is a regular type seal kind of like your wheel bearing seal. they can only hold so much preasure and i am betting since your pump is fresh, whoever assembled it packed the bearing properly and loaded it with grease, then also filled the rest of the void. when the bearing spins it will need to release some the packed grease and since the rest of the void was full it had no place to go. dont sweat it, just wipe it off and run it. and do not tighted the packing gland bolts any unless you are getting to much water seapage. over tightening them with only make the pump drag and wear out the shaft quiker.