Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tuning engine on the trailer

h2oboy
    Any help would be Great!!
    I am looking to tune the engine on my 79 Southwind and was told that I should not do this on the trailer. in the past I have shut off the wet headers and hooked water up to the block (from the inlet on pump) but only ran it for a very short period of time. Now that I am looking to get it dialed in I want to run it for more than a feew minutes. I can not unhook the drive link (bolts are hell) and clearance may be an issue if I could. Will I damage anything inside the pump??
    Any assistance would be great.

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended)as you are and heavily advise to dis connect

sanger rat
    It may be a pain in the a$$ but pull the driveshaft.

BigBlockBaja
    It may be a pain in the a$$ but pull the driveshaft.
    Ironic you put the a$$ in there, cuase its going to cost ya some $$ if ya dont!

CARLSON-JET
    New wear ring,insulator, impellor, time/labor about $500. One good hour on the dyno about $500. Move the motor foward pull the PTO, time. pick your poison.

flat broke
    In addition to the damage that running the pump dry will cause to the jet, what do you hope to tune in the driveway. The only thing you can really set is your timing and idle because there is no load on the motor. Depending on how close you are to the water and how much of a pain it is for you to disconnect the driveline, you might just want to head down to the launch ramp with your tools and set things there with the boat on the trailer in the water. Then once you get your idle and base timing set, you can run around the lake a little and work on the jetting.
    Good luck,
    Chris

If you're just tuning or breaking in a cam or flushing salt water, there's nothing wrong with running a jet on the trailer provided you've installed a T in the system and can divert water to the bowl. Takes about 10 minutes to make one and and you can install it and remove it in a flash.
    Did if for years and never hurt a thing on any rebuild or new boat.

MACHINEHEAD
    roger that old rigger. adj. timing, mixture, idle 4min max anyway. thats all
    your gonna do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast