Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Boat Purchase

asch
    --

bkplesh
    Hello. New guy here,
    I'm considering buying a used boat. I've been around and tinkered on my friends' boats, but never owned one. The vessel in question is approx. 21-22', jet, and looks to be a BBC under the cover. It appears to have been used regularly but I don't know how recently. The registration shows 2001 stickers while the trailer is current. I've not looked at it in detail but then again I'm not sure what I should look for as far as damage/excessive use. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Assumming all is good as far as the boat, what kinds of fees or penlaties could I be looking at if the paperwork hasn't been kept up? The owner is advertising $3,200 for it.
    Sorry bout the low res pics. I just saw it yesterday and had a quick minute to snap the pics.
    Oh yeah...would it be wise, since I have no boat buying experience to have it looked at by a local boat shop or some place that can determine its condition?
    Thanks.
    I would take it to a local boat shop!!!Then I would go drive it!!!Theres alot of thing that maybe hiden that you can't see.It's not that much money to get it looked at(maybe around 60-70)But they should tell you alot about the boat and take a friend that knows about boats.

BRAWNY
    couple of suggestions;see if the owner is willing to takeyou
    for a test ride,if he will offer him a few bucks towards gas.
    you could learn alot about that boat during a test at the lake.
    also see if he'd be willing to take care of the registration,might seem
    like alot to ask,but if he's serious about selling the boat,it shouldn't
    be to unreasonable.have fun and good luck.brawny :crossx:

BRAWNY
    I notice you're over in Norwalk? Know of any reputable boat shops in the OC/LA area?
    not to jack this thread,but what type of work are you looking for?
    one place to avoid is BOAT PLANET on rosecrans in norwalk.

a catered life
    couple of suggestions;see if the owner is willing to takeyou
    for a test ride,if he will offer him a few bucks towards gas.
    you could learn alot about that boat during a test at the lake.
    also see if he'd be willing to take care of the registration,might seem
    like alot to ask,but if he's serious about selling the boat,it shouldn't
    be to unreasonable.have fun and good luck.brawny :crossx:
    this is good solid adivse
    my first boat was past used and i bought it without anyone looking at it and needless to say it costed me a crap load of extra money :yuk: ...the hull had a hairline crack was the biggest problem...so follow brawny words and ask the owner a lot of questions good luck...also where do you want to do most of your boating...size and type of boat make a big difference

a catered life
    Elsinore, Havasu (have family that recently moved there and nobody has a boat. I want to change that!), Nacimiento, Bass Lake, Mead. etc., etc. Basically any lake I can get to. :rollside:
    you'll be ok on most of those lakes (not havi) until the big boys get to rollin and the water will get chopped real fast....with that hull and size you will be tossed around pretty bad

rerfert
    The price looks good...the tandem trailer is a plus...you mentioned you have friends with boats? run them by the boat and get a few more opinions.
    The registration being 01 shouldn't be a problem for the boat??
    HERE in Arizona, one I bought was 4 years out of registration and fish and game just went from my bill of sale/transfer date for the new registration sticker.
    O'Ya if your on a deep lake you might want to consider filling the front of the bow with foam.

centerhill condor
    are you gonna be doing any maintenance work yourself? I'd spring a fifty for the test ride and see how he drives it. Check the oil for water before and after. Listen to the starter does it grind or is there a nice steady compression "sound" on all 8? Watch the instruments..oil, temp, batt... are they nice and steady or crazy readings all over? Look into the jet intake... look at the blades are they nice and straight? or are they all chipped up from breaking big rocks into little ones? during the test ride does the boat ride the way you want? Some of these jets will beat you to death long after the love affair with the bbc sound fades... examine the wiring for molten insulation... I like the look and price of the boat. If it drives right buy the thing and enjoy it. I don't think you can go very wrong for the money. Bring cash and offer $2800 after the ride. I think you'll get a decent first boat and if you sink it the money won't break you to leave it in davey jones' locker! always wear a life jacket while under way...always! good luck!

RitcheyRch
    Definitely take it for a test ride and then try to find a local reputable boat mechanic that will look it over from top to bottom. That alone could save you a bunch of money in the long run.

76ANTHONY
    getting a test ride is definitly a plus, bring gas money. the people i bought my bought through werent near any bodies of water. check to see if its a chevy big block, thats also a plus. the tandem trailer is a plus. for the money i think its a very nice first boat, gets you in for a small dollar amount and you can see if boating is for you, hell if ya dont like boating, you could always clean it up and sell it next year. just my .02 just cause i went through this 2 years ago....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast