Thread: Is it paint or gelcoat?

rrrr
    I am cleaning up my '67 Howard hull in advance of reinstalling the engine and rigging. Last weekend I took it off of the trailer, turned it up on one side and compounded, polished, and waxed the bottom.
    Now I need to do the top. The boat is metalflake, the hull is gold and the "belt" around the hull/deck joint is another color. I see some shadows in the flake where it looks unevenly applied.
    Also, there isn't a rub rail (glassed smooth), and it appears that the belt is paint, not gelcoat. I'm wondering how these old wood and glass boats were made. Is the finish on the hull gelcoat or paint? I color sanded the transom and started on the belt, it was really discolored, sorta milky. I am trying to go easy, and don't want to remove too much when sanding.
    Anyone have a few tips?

Raysoncrafter
    Most likely it's paint. Rayson would grind the shoebox fit down, glass over it, and then paint it a contrasting color to the hull gelcoat. Howard Brown probably did the same thing.

rrrr,
    By '67 Howards boats were all glass unless you got a wood deck with it which yours sounds like it's not.
    His boats were butt fit, not shoebox, and when the seam between the deck and hull were filled that was called cap job. Howard Brown and Roger Weiman whose shops were down the street from one another, used BK boat repair in Bellflower (still there) to do the cap work and the painting of the target. 99% of the time gel goat was used but that's not to say it's not done with enamel.
    By the way, did you old timers know that Howard did all his own wood decks back in the day? This was even before he had his big shop off Lakewood blvd. He was using a little garage/shop behind a place called Genes Chrome in Paramount, also on Lakewood blvd. but in the other side of the street.
    The dark spots on the flake is the back up color bleeding through the clear. Be careful sanding because if you go through the clear, you'll start sanding the flakes, then your screwed.

rrrr
    Old Rigger, the deck is wood, but has glass and flake over it. The bottom of the hull has plywood laid in full length, but split in the middle with about a 2 inch gap.
    When it's done you guys hafta promise not to laugh, that old greenish gold flake was cool back then, and after all it IS a resto project.