Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is faster?

bkplesh
    I got into a long debate with a friend over what makes a boat go faster through the water a waxed bottom or a scuffed bottom? I have always believed and faithfully waxed the bottom of my boat. He is insisting that if I left it alone I would go faster. Though his demonstration involves a spoon dipped into the top of a glass of water showing how the water grabs the spoon as you pull it away. He says if the spoon were scuffed it would not do this. I feel that this doesn't apply to the movement of a boat across the water. My thinking is you would want to be a smooth as possible. So wax or no wax? :argue: :220v: :rollside:

Tom Brown
    No wax and scuffed to 600 grit.
    You want turbulence. Turbulence causes tiny air pockets that provide less resistance to motion than water in contact with the hull.
    ... so I'd just leave it.

Kilrtoy
    I beleive boating life debunked 10 myths and this was one of them...
    having a waxed bottom does nothing for you, according to the mag

H20Advantage
    This month's Powerboat also has an article on this. Wax on = Speed off.

Marty Gras
    A slightly roughed up bottom (in line of travel) will reduce drag. The dark grey "lubriplate" coating is not only a graphite coating, but it creates a rough surface for the water to "tumble" over. The hull is going 100MPH, the next 1/1000" (boundary layer) is going (aprox) 95MPH. the next 1/1000" is going 89MPH, and so on.... Waxing the hull bottom, makes the water "stick", like the "surface tension" that holds water just above the top of a glass. Water (salt or fresh) follows a 'slightly curved surface', and "breaks off" of a 'sharp edge', that's why hull blueprinting makes a large speed difference. Wax your hull for beauty and not for speed.

moneypit
    Thats it. No more astro glide for me.

Tom Brown
    ...that's why hull blueprinting makes a large speed difference.
    You had me until this.

Phat Daddy
    I got into a long debate with a friend over what makes a boat go faster through the water a waxed bottom or a scuffed bottom? I have always believed and faithfully waxed the bottom of my boat. He is insisting that if I left it alone I would go faster. Though his demonstration involves a spoon dipped into the top of a glass of water showing how the water grabs the spoon as you pull it away. He says if the spoon were scuffed it would not do this. I feel that this doesn't apply to the movement of a boat across the water. My thinking is you would want to be a smooth as possible. So wax or no wax? :argue: :220v: :rollside:
    Good thing you didn't put money on it because your friend is right. :rollside:

Danhercules
    Do a search in Just Jets for "dimples" LMFAO

BajaMike
    I've heard the same thing about people who polish thier props......I think Powerboat mag said it's best not to polish your props....it slows you down....less "traction".... :idea:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast