Thread: First Voyage Notes

PC Rat
    The first part of the note is a big THANK YOU to:
    My wife Aimee, she helped me a lot and is really learning her way around the shop.
    Chris Straub/Stefs, for building me an awesome oil pan. I ran into a couple different problems with my old oil pan and decided to go with a custom pan. Chris pretty much already knew my engine combination, and got the ball rolling on a custom fabbed pan for me. It turned out great and their fab work is 1st class.
    Mark Williams/Williams Fabrication, he is a great friend and one hell of a TIG welder and fabricator. Mark did a lot of stuff for me - custom made AN fittings, transom adapter, aluminum and stainless welding.
    Darin Vance, he is a great friend and a bad ass machinist. Darin machined parts for my engine mounts, and alternator mounts.
    Board Members, there's a lot of them - thanks for the info and advice.
    -------------------------------------------------
    The last couple nights of putting the boat together I was up till 4am getting things ready. I got the electrical hooked up, oil pump primed, ignition static timed, and rigged in an electrical fuel pump to get the carb primed. At noon on Thursday the engine fired right up and I ran it on the hose for about 15 minutes. On Friday we drove to Mayfield Lake for a get together with friends. We got the boat launched and drove around with the engine in the 2800-3200 rpm range for about 20 minutes. Oil pressure was good (about 55psi at idle with 20-50 Valvoline oil). I had to close the water valve way down to get the engine heated up. Vacuum pump is pulling about 5" vacuum at 3000 rpm. The Aggressor pump was freshened up and detail work by MPD. With the Aggressor A, 3000 rpm is 32 mph on the speedometer. Took the boat to the dock at our friends house and let everything cool down. We then took another 20 minute run mostly keeping the engine in the 2800-3200 rpm range, with just a quick jab up to 4000 rpm.
    Saturday a little more crusing around and ran the engine up to about 5000 rpm for just a second and the tattle tale showed 80 mph. Later that evening we were going for another cruise, and probably less than 5 minutes (in the 3000 rpm range) into the drive, I heard a pop and the engine started clattering. I pulled off the valve cover and found a broken pushrod and damaged rocker arm. My friend got a ride back to the house some people in a passing boat (thank you whoever you are). He brought his own boat back and towed me in.
    To sum up the first trip out, I was very happy with everything until the broken pushrod. Hopefully this is just a minor setback and it'll be back on the water soon.
    Thanks,
    Brian

Daytona100
    Is the lifter all right? What caused the pushrod to break? Never broke a pushrod just curious. Were you happy with the cam?

PC Rat
    The lifter seems to be fine.
    Check out my thread here http://www2.***boat.com/forums//showthread.php?t=124489