Thread: bow tie tall deck

victorfb
    i came across a guy that has an old paul pfaff built motor that he may want to get rid of and id like to get some imput on its value. basically a GM bow tie block #14044807 with the 4.50 bore, scat crank, carillo rods, JE flat top forged pistons. i believe its a 568ci motor. cant remember the cam but it is a flat tappet hydrolic crane cam. heads are mildly ported (bowl area only) casting # 14096188. build sheet shows 9.8-1 compression. roller rockers, victor intake and a dominater carb (not sure of size). and a 14qt marine oil pan. this is disassembled and the bores only need a slight hone, but i noticed a weld between 2 and 4 right at the top of the cylinders. the block presurred out good when tested.
    its late and im tired and that all i remember at this time. any ideas if its value?
    thanks for any input.

victorfb
    not sure why i remembered the build sheet saying 568ci. from my knowledge the tall deck used a 4.25 crank, and with the 4.50 bore. i believe thats a 540ci. maybe the scat crank is a bit larger. any ideas on what the market is on these older tall deck motors?

If everything is in good shape then around 50 cents on the dollar is about right for good used HP parts. I just had a guy sell a long block 605CID engine for $7500 cash. The engine had $14K in parts alone not including labor.

acatitude
    im sure its a 540 ci......... I have a 540 bowtie standard deck bare block for $1000.00 if any one is interested in bulding a motor

victorfb
    thanks for the imput guys. i gave the guy an offer of $3500 and he declined. in my opinion that was a fair offer for a seemingly nice set up that has some issues such as the welded block, cracked head between seats, and its been sitting for a while when assembled. although the machine shop its in has purchased new roller lifters, rings, bearings, possibly a timing set, with the head repair and honing and such the total would be around $1200 to the machine shop (my price). so it looks like this guy will be holding on to his mill a little longer. thanks again for the responses.

Decided Advantage
    That big $ for lots of unknowns. Chances are if you drag it down to a reputable builder, they would have issues with many of the clearances and components.
    I'd let this guy chill for awhile and let him come back to you. Your offer was fair and it does present risk to you.
    Given the risks I'd let your offer stand, if it doesn't work out hunt down TPI (an example of one of many great builders) and buy a new integrated product.