Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocker Studs

MBMOSEBILT
    I Just Bought A Set Of Used Merlin Heads. They Did Not Come With Rocker Studs. I Have A Brand New Set Of Gm Replacement Studs From Several Years Back. I Have Installed Them But It Looks Like The Posi Stop Locks For The Roller Rockers Do Not Have Enough Threads. Do I Need To Use A Longer Set? And What Brand?

BADTOON
    ARP peroid

Moneypitt
    I Just Bought A Set Of Used Merlin Heads. They Did Not Come With Rocker Studs. I Have A Brand New Set Of Gm Replacement Studs From Several Years Back. I Have Installed Them But It Looks Like The Posi Stop Locks For The Roller Rockers Do Not Have Enough Threads. Do I Need To Use A Longer Set? And What Brand?
    Before you go any further check the pushrod lengths. Aftermarket heads are not stockers and sometimes the valvetrain geometry is quite different by design. Check the valve stem heights and/or get a pushrod gage tool. Merely increasing the stud length may solve the nut engagement problem but there may also be other issues to deal with that would make the existing studs work fine. Now is a really good time to find out why the studs are short........MP

GofastRacer
    Besides the above, check the polylocs some don't have the threads going all the way to the bottom!..

WannabeRacing
    Moneypit is right. Why are the studs short.
    But when you go to find a new set, get the ARP studs. For a couple of dollars it is not worth running an inferior stud. Too important of a part to risk it. Just get the right ones and be done.

Moneypitt
    Moneypit is right. Why are the studs short.
    But when you go to find a new set, get the ARP studs. For a couple of dollars it is not worth running an inferior stud. Too important of a part to risk it. Just get the right ones and be done.
    The studs on the PS boat are GM, original as far as I know to the 990s. Many, many, many races later and still hanging in there. I guess sometimes older is better. I guess I should mention the Engle rev kit, sure saves a bunch of hammered valve train parts......MP

fc-pilot
    The studs on the PS boat are GM, original as far as I know to the 990s. Many, many, many races later and still hanging in there. I guess sometimes older is better. I guess I should mention the Engle rev kit, sure saves a bunch of hammered valve train parts......MP
    I am going to assume you are also running stud girdles?
    Paul

MBMOSEBILT
    I will check the push rod lenght. I just purchased all the parts at once from the same speed shop. I told them the heads and bought all the other parts cam,lifters,pushrods and rocker arms. The short block was brand new from GM.

Moneypitt
    I am going to assume you are also running stud girdles?
    Paul
    You bet...............And the valves are closely monitored. With the comp cams girdle its almost set um and forget um.......Almost...........Ray

fc-pilot
    Ray, I figured you would be. A good set of stud girdles are a great investment. I did not think you would be able to get away with factory studs in that thing without them.
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast