Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: suggestion about 454

Bow Tie Omega
    454, how big is your boat, how fast (or not) is it now? For the Rooster tail, you need a diverter. If you already know these things, I am not trying to slam you or anything. I am trying to get a base line of what you have and what you know. For starters, go down to Barns and Noble or go onto Amazon and pick up a Big Block Chevy Build-Up Book, go to Kragen and get the manual for your motor. Get to know your motor. Once you get to know your motor you will have alot easier time with what you need to do to your motor. Find out what 454 you have. Look at the number on the left rear side of the block just above the bell housing. Go to banderlog.com and go to big block chevy stuff to match the number. Do the same on your heads. As far as your Jet goes, find out what model number it is and then start to ask questions about your model of jet. If you know all of this already, disregard what I have said, if not, the above will get you going in the right direction. This board is a great resource. I know as a teenager I was a motor head and got away from it for 10 years. I have had to re-learn alot of things in the last 4 months. If you do the above, come back and not only will the posters be able to better help you, but you will also have a better understanding of what they are saying and what is going on. Good Luck and Welcome to Hot Boat. Joe

77charger
    i think something like a comp cams 280 magnum hydraulic with a good dual plane intake topped with a 750 or up holley dp And at least a 9-1 comp would work out just fine.Now if you want a race motor then you need alot more.The best increase can be found in reworking the pump also.For a lake boat motor or your needs i think you will be fine with a cast piston and 2 bolt block i really wouldnt think you will be spinning past 5300 rpm.(with an A or an AB impeller assumed)

454flyinby
    is it okay to run hyperutechics pistons with cast crank in a 454, turning 4500-5000 rpm.im not building a race boat just a cruiser to have a little fun with my buddies.what type of head work is suggested to be done?(781heads)

GofastRacer
    454flyinby:
    is it okay to run hyperutechics pistons with cast crank in a 454, turning 4500-5000 rpm.im not building a race boat just a cruiser to have a little fun with my buddies.what type of head work is suggested to be done?(781heads) From what you're describing, those pistons will work fine!, as far as the heads goes, just do a quality valve job and you should be good to go!!..

Hotcrusader76
    :::::foot tapping:::::
    "I fly you buy?"

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I am sure glad he is trying to learn. 454flynby is my buddy and we are building identical motors but I want him to learn a little bit so I told him to jump on ***boat and ask away. I will be helping him but he needs to learn himself wink wink

Bow Tie Omega
    That is cool 396. Their is nothing wrong with people who want to learn. I hope this ends up being a cool project for you both...Joe

BK
    454flyinby:
    is it okay to run hyperutechics pistons with cast crank in a 454, turning 4500-5000 rpm.im not building a race boat just a cruiser to have a little fun with my buddies.what type of head work is suggested to be done?(781heads) Im running KB hyperutechtic pistons with 500hp at at around 5300rpm and havent had any problems. If your gonna have the heads done it wouldnt be a bad idea to go with larger valves (2.19 - 1.88) while your add it, just a thought. Arent the 781's basically the same as the 049's?

O.B eddie
    Economy budgit, 454 30 over 11-1 (kinda heavy TRWs) rect ports (990)s 580in 620ex. 112 lobe center 256 266 dur. solid lifter at 50 T-Ram dual 660s. I personally am angry with comp based on the fact they dont back there product up!!!So I would go with anyone other than them!!! Good luck!!

BigBoyToys
    O.B eddie:
    Economy budgit, 454 30 over 11-1 (kinda heavy TRWs) rect ports (990)s 580in 620ex. 112 lobe center 256 266 dur. solid lifter at 50 T-Ram dual 660s. I personally am angry with comp based on the fact they dont back there product up!!!So I would go with anyone other than them!!! Good luck!! Budgit? What's that? And 580in 620 ex? Are you on crack again?
    [ January 13, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: BigBoyToys ]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast