Thread: Trailer electrical hookup test

Timer
    I hooked up my "new" vehicle to my trailer to make sure the electrical worked before an upcoming trip and something strange happened. When I put the signal blinker on left and right, they flashed very fast compared to when the trailer is not hooked up. The rest of the tests went fine, except I noticed one small side light on the trailer doesn't light up. Any clue on why the flashers blink so fast? Thanks.

MikeF
    T, What make is the truck (ford,chevy,dodge)? It may have a load type blinker (meaning is sees a certain load then clicks off or on) The extra light you are turning on increases the load in the circuit.

Timer
    It's a 1998 Hummer (H1). Probably GM brand.
    [ September 15, 2002, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Timer ]

SuperWrench0166
    find the flasher and replace it with a heavy duty unit for more bulbs most flashers are set to work with only 4 bulbs when you add the trailer lights the flash faster

Timer
    Thanks for your help, guys.

BubbleJet
    You might check your ground. Years ago I worked at U-Haul and a lot of people don't use the ground wire on the trailer or the ground on the vehicle connector. Both ground wires should be under a screw in the frame of the tow vehicle and the boat trailer. Most of the time the ball will ground through the tongue, but sometimes not until after you have moved the trailer and made a turn etc. The lights will do funny things if you don't have a good ground. As mentioned above you do need a heavy duty flasher also. wink

BrendellaJet
    This sounds to me like you may have a broken bulb or two on the trailer. Often times when there is a broken bulb in the system, the flasher speeds very noticeably. Not sure if this is your problem, but if all else fails, it wont take long to check.

stressedout
    Take out the 224 light duty turn signal flasher and install a 552 heavy duty flasher.

Timer
    I replaced the flasher unit with the heavy-duty type suggested (part #s turned out to be what stressedout mentioned) and replaced the 2 bulbs in the trailer side light and bingo, no more problem. I read through the Hummer owner's manual and they did recommend a heavy duty flasher if towing, so I knew I had to do that.
    Thanks for everybody's help on the board. You never fail me.

stressedout
    Timer:
    I replaced the flasher unit with the heavy-duty type suggested (part #s turned out to be what stressedout mentioned) and replaced the 2 bulbs in the trailer side light and bingo, no more problem. I read through the Hummer owner's manual and they did recommend a heavy duty flasher if towing, so I knew I had to do that.
    Thanks for everybody's help on the board. You never fail me.Glad to be of help.
    Trailer lighting is a part of my business.