Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question? Nostalgia class raceing

mouzer
    How can i run the nosty class if the speed is limited to 80 mph?its monitored by gps in the boat, my boat is ss63 and is alot faster! what do i need to do? i really dont want to start in SS.

Moneypitt
    If you run your SS boat at Irvine (OR ?) with a gps, note the speed (80) at a given RPM, then just keep the Rs down below that point. Or, gear it/prop it to max out at 80. A little homework would be in order, but you're gonna need the seat time anyway. Good luck, and keep the prop side down :rollside: .........Ray

ss396
    hey come race with us at moses lake wa we do not have to have a gps on our boats. i take it you are in cal. from my understanding you do not have to start all over. :idea: the key is to learn how not to go as fast down the straight a way to stay under the gps speed. since gps shows top speed not average speed. being a racer i can see how that is going to be a real problem. the other way is to figure out what rpm you hit the top speed then set the rev limit to that point so you only go top speed minus aprox half mile an hour that way you do not take a chance of going over the max on gps. good luck :idea:

GofastRacer
    How can i run the nosty class if the speed is limited to 80 mph?its monitored by gps in the boat, my boat is ss63 and is alot faster! what do i need to do? i really dont want to start in SS.
    All you need to do is figure what rpm is at 80mph, and then control yourself!..

lilrick
    I hope you get involved, and actually start racing, but at the same time please don't waste anybody's time.

FlatRat
    :argue:

canam10
    Art,
    Boyd will have to jump in here but aren't the courses set up very small as to make it very difficult to run more than 80mph. Unless your out front it's very difficult to be watching Tachs gauges and anything else. Even on the big courses I had difficulty watching anything. If you have good water and are running out front on the long course you could get a look at the oil pressure if you were lucky. You have all you can do to keep track of the other 8-9 boats around you, try and get set up for the next corner and just keep the boat flat. Thats way everybody that comes back with a blown engine says the oil pressure was fine before it blew !! Because the last time they had time to look at it was just before the race started !!! It blew because they lost oil pressure 2 laps ago and never had time to look at the gauge to see they were losing oil pressure. As you know when you start getting up there in speed things become very blury with all the vibration.

MAXIMUS
    Its not that hard. Get a good gps & strap it to the steering wheel or dash where you can keep an eye on it. After a few runs you will get a pretty good feel for the speed & break out points. The biggest problem breaking out is when you come off a turn to hard & find yourself excellerating past the break out point. Faster turns & smoother throttle work makes for a more controlled enviorment!

GofastRacer
    Art,
    Boyd will have to jump in here but aren't the courses set up very small as to make it very difficult to run more than 80mph. Unless your out front it's very difficult to be watching Tacks gauges and anything else. Even on the big courses I had difficulty watching anything. If you have good water and are running out front on the long course you could get a look at the oil pressure if you were lucky. You have all you can do to keep track of the other 8-9 boats around you, try and get set up for the next corner and just keep the boat flat. Thats way everybody that comes back with a blown engine says the oil pressure was fine before it blew !! Because the last time they had time to look at it was just before the race started !!! It blew because they lost oil pressure 2 laps ago and never had time to look at the gauge to see they were losing oil pressure. As you know when you start getting up there in speed things become very blury with all the vibration.
    Yeah his courses are set up to keep the speeds down, but when you run on a 1 mile single pin turn it's easy to go over the limit, but if you put the tach on the column with the max rpm so the needle is straight up, it will be in your vision you don't have to stare at it unless you're looking thru a straw, you can do the same for oil pressure or use a Pro Light!.. It's called sand baggin, takes a little practice!..

Hey guys, it might be hard for the Mouzer to control himself!!!
    Steve

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast