Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Do You All Think???

BADBLOWN572
    I have a friend who has the opportunity to purchase a mold for a 20' Spectra. The mold is the original Spectra bottom and a modified deck, similar to the Howard Custom Cruiser. He is wondering if he should get the molds. He is very interested in it, but is unsure if anyone would be interested in purchasing them. He initially wants to start off with either blank hulls for sale and eventually get into full blown production boats setup for V-drive or IO. I don't know what to tell him. What do you all think? I know that the 20' Spectra is one of the best riding bottoms ever built, but not sure if anyone is looking for them. First rule of business is make sure that you have a market to sell to before you jump in with both feet. That is what he is trying to do.
    He wants me to do the rigging on the boats which is great, but I want to make sure that I don't spend a bunch of time and effort designing parts, setups, etc without knowing that it is going to go somewhere. So, part of this is me wondering if I want to get involved with this project.
    I found these pictures online of the boats
    ORIGINAL
    http://images.traderonline.com/EMedi...0511058901.jpg
    Howard Custom Cruiser (very similar to the new design)
    http://images.traderonline.com/img/6...85202412_1.jpg

lilrick
    GO FOR IT!!!!! I just bought a 20' Spectra v-drive ..Only downfall is that it's old . A new one would be bitchen.

RiverDave
    Well you already know my .02 cents on it BB572 as we've talked about it at pretty great lengths, but I'll say it again anyways..
    If someone was to start producing these boats, and put a 496 / Bravo in them, and it came down to even steven on everything (Price, options) between one of these, and a newer style daycruiser (Cobra, Shockwave, etc..) I'd buy one of these hands down everytime. I prefer the classic styling, and more importantly the performance / ride of the old cruisers.
    Obviously I'd be interested in a blank hull.
    RD

HM
    If you build it, they will come.
    I am with RD, I like the classic lines, and it would be nice to buy one brand new.

460 jus getn it
    Hell yea, stuff a blown 496 in there. I say go for it.

Cole Trickle
    I think it would be a bitchin ride and you would have some intrest.
    With that being said I think it is the wrong time to jump into the boat market.I also think it would only appeal to a very small group of people that read this board and thumb through the magazines.(This could be a good thing)
    I like them but would have zero intrest in owning something smaller than 25' due to the fact you could only put 4 people in that boat comfortably.I am sure that boat handles rough water great but it just dosen't have the freeboard/size I would be looking for in a Parker or Havasu boat.
    If you could keep the price down and offer a nice package I am sure it would sell.(50-65K with standard BB power)

Sleek-Jet
    ...I am sure that boat handles rough water great but it just dosen't have the freeboard/size I would be looking for in a Parker....
    Wha??????? You are honestly saying a 20' boat in the River Cruiser class is not big enough for Parker???
    I'm confused... :rollside: :rollside:
    I know I would like to buy one... but in reality I probably wouldn't do to not wanting to finance a boat.

Cole Trickle
    Wha??????? You are honestly saying a 20' boat in the River Cruiser class is not big enough for Parker???
    I'm confused... :rollside: :rollside:
    I know I would like to buy one... but in reality I probably wouldn't do to not wanting to finance a boat.
    20' to me is a small boat. I don't think it's enough boat on a really busy holiday weekend.
    We have a 20' and it has not hit the water since we got the 28'.(Took on alot of water leaving the firework show a couple years back )

spectras only
    Love the 20 spectra [ had one for 26 yrs ] , but the trend seems to be towards larger boats .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectra20.3jpg.jpg
    I think a modified decked 24 spectra would be more popular , hence its rough water capabilities .
    Here's my 24 V-drive a few weeks ago >
    http://media.putfile.com/24-Spectra-...y-2006-July-22

riverbound
    I honestly think it would be a VERY niche market (similar to the wood boats) and as long as marketed correctly to the right people it might do well. at the same time with interest rates where they are and people selling off all their toys becuase they got in way over their head. it might not be the best time to start a boat business.
    I wouldnt put my money into it, unless it was done as a complete hobby. I odnt think the timing is right to start a niche boating co. But then again I have missed out on an opportunity or two for thinking the timing was wrong.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast