Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater pool ???

phebus
    I'm getting bids on a pool out here in Havasu, and want a saltwater system, but one of the builders I talked to the other day said that saltwater systems are great in other areas, but here in Havasu the total disolved solids in the water is so high, that saltwater systems don't work well here. He is the only builder to say that I should pass on a saltwater system.
    Roz, Bling, anyone know???

dirty old man
    He may be on to something there. High tds (total dissolved solids) can be a real problem. check it out

Tequila-John
    I'm getting bids on a pool out here in Havasu, and want a saltwater system, but one of the builders I talked to the other day said that saltwater systems are great in other areas, but here in Havasu the total disolved solids in the water is so high, that saltwater systems don't work well here. He is the only builder to say that I should pass on a saltwater system.
    Roz, Bling, anyone know???
    Not sure if thats true bud. Most of my neighbors here have salt and have not complainted about it. Normally Havasu is 2-5 degree's hotter then where i am in Gilbert

hyevon
    I have a salt water system in my Rancho Mirage house for two years now, and no problems what so ever

blown65
    What is your TDS level? Call a water treatment dealer and see what they say the number is for water around there.

Pheelin Phroggy
    We have a salt water pool in Hesperia, near Victorville, best thing we ever did, we also just sold our partnership in a pool maintenance company and have never heard of that, the nice salt chlorination systems allow adjustment of chlorine generated (including super shock of needed). We have a very high concentration of metals and are about 5 degress in summer temps below you out there where we are and it does not effect the performance of the system. We lose about 100lbs of salt every 3 months through evaporation and spillage (swimming), thats about 12 bucks worth. Critical things are conditioner to maintain the chlorine generated and ensure you or your pool guy brushes the tile weekly, salt will leave a nice salt ring around your pool if you dont.
    Our .2 cents worth

JB in so cal
    Phebus,
    youmove away from the ocean, all the way to havasu; and now you want salt water to swim in!
    You were in one too many smoky rooms
    btw. beautiful day out here, today :rollside:

NOTALENT
    My buddy has the setup in his house in havasu...they live there year round...they absolutley love the system. I t dispenses salt like every hour or something...has suction cups at the bottom to do the cleaning..I think its awesome...and you dont smell like chlorine.

Tequila-John
    My buddy has the setup in his house in havasu...they live there year round...they absolutley love the system. I t dispenses salt like every hour or something...has suction cups at the bottom to do the cleaning..I think its awesome...and you dont smell like chlorine.
    Those suction cups are pop ups bud.

XTRM22
    I talked to two different pool guys who gave me the same story, so I went with the D.E. filter and pop up cleaners. There are some other possible issues with the salt system, including hi salt content if you don't drain the pool once a year, and in the real heat, occasionally the salt system will shut down and you end up adding chlorine anyway. So far my pool never smells of chlorine, and the content is low enough that the dogs drink out of it with no ill effects. Jerry at Southwest has been building and servicing pools here in Havasu about the longest, give him a call their doing our maintenance right now.
    Chuck

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast