Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 460???'s

abraman1326
    Another crappy lesson learned. Guess it's good that I get all these out before I start buying expensive boats huh? Although, when I can step up, hopefuly I'll get a warantee. Anyway, thanks so much for all the help guys. It really is appreciated.
    LO, I'm still coming to you for the rebuilt. When I have the cash. It's been a tough year...
    BRA

abraman1326
    What you want out of it and how much you have to spend will determine what you do. If you're just looking for a dependable engine to hit the water with, check the bearings and valves, replace/repair any worn or damaged components, put it together and run it. If you want to see how much speed you can get out of what you have, use the C8's, get the valvetrain to use them, re-ring it if the bores and pistons are acceptable, throw the RPM on and match a cam to the combo. Word of caution.... this approach never ends even if you tell yourself you'll stop when you hit XXmph.
    Speed costs money.. how fast can you afford to go?
    Just my .02
    I am not looking for any speed. This hull is a pig, and I'm not going to even try to make a rocket out of it. That'll happen in the next hull, or if I ever get my 78 Tahiti 19footer back. This is a family wagon, just for cruising, a little skiing, and a lot of beer drinking. Thanks for the advice though, it really helps...
    BRA

ONAROLL
    In my experience those lifters kick right off the cam into the valley, if the pushrod is not chewed up, just bent, then air up that suspect cylinder to hold the valve up, pull the retainers and spring, ensure the valve is not stuck/bent and moves freely spinning it with your fingers, if all is well, then pull the push rod next to it and use that for a measurement on a replacement for the bent one, drop in the lifter, replace the pushrods, check the suspect rocker arm, and run the piss out of it, its late august enjoy the rest of the summer...........Vic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12