Thread: Water Cooling Issue!

travis hathaway
    Steam is coming from my dump lines when idling thru no-wake zones and after moderate 4000 rpm runs. I was plumbing the water from the pump, thru an oil cooler, into the motor, using a thermostat system and out thru two dump lines. My headers are T'd off seperatly at the pump. Recently, I used a pickup from the ride plate for the oil cooler and out one of the dump lines and plumbed the cooling water for the motor directly to the thermostat and out the other dump line via a T connection. Yesterday I took her out for a test run and am still getting steam from the engine dump line after shutting the motor off. I have two water temp guages, an elect and mech. Both indicate 160 deg during normal operation and up to 200-220 deg when idling under bridges and after shutting the engine off. Using a 160 deg thermostat; should I try a 140 deg.

Moneypitt
    [ Recently, I used a pickup from the ride plate for the oil cooler and out one of the dump lines and plumbed the cooling water for the motor directly to the thermostat [quote]
    Explain this part in greater detail. If you are pushing cold water directly at the thermostat, how does it ever heat up?? The thermostat should be at the exit of the motor, not the entrance........MP

travis hathaway
    MoneyPitt-- Sorry; my error, too early on Sunday. The water is from the pump to the block and exits at the thermostat ect. :skull:

Changing from a 160 to a 140 will Not fix this problem.
    You have a water volume issue at idle caused either by a restriction somewhere in the system or a valve at the inlet that is shut off to low. Also could be crap caught in the oil cooler restricting flow. Or possibly a thermostat that is stuck partially shut (although uncommon).
    At the increased pressure running there is enough water.
    I am assuming this is a jet boat btw, not stated.

PC Rat
    What size are your cooling lines?
    By "thermostat system" do you mean the thermostat kit with the bypass in it, and the four ports to hook the lines to? If so, is your cooling line going in at the top and out at the bottom?
    Do you have a shut off valve at the pump? What happens if you open it more?
    Also, I don't think your oil will ever come to temp with cold water running through it 100% of the time.
    Brian