Thread: sub enclosure question

Coach
    I am buying a new boat and want to put a sub under a seat with some dead space that is not useable. The base of the seats are fiberglass so the box would have to fit in and fire downward. with this sound ok to do this?
    The spot I am talking about is on the far left under the cushion that is flipped over. The area under there is unusable space so I want to put a box for a 12" there.

sigepmock
    It will work fine, just make sure to size the box properly to get the right volume. Also make sure there is enough room in front of the speaker. Those cones actually move pretty far back and forth. I'd leave 1 1/2" to 2" clear in front.
    Good luck,
    Chris

ROZ
    You just can't drop a loaded subwoofer enclosure into a sealed compartment and get good results. You'll need to vent it somehow...

sigepmock
    You just can't drop a loaded subwoofer enclosure into a sealed compartment and get good results. You'll need to vent it somehow...
    Good point Roz. I just assumed it was open under there.

Coach
    Does it need a port in the fiberglass area or will there be enough air from the rear compartment for the sub? The rear compartment to the area under the seat are open. Would it be better to put a ported box in there vs a sealed box or is that irrelevant in that area? I am trying to find a place to hide a second sub without giving up usable storage in the boat. The area under the seat on the left is not usable because just in front it a cooler that cuts that storage area off.

sigepmock
    Does it need a port in the fiberglass area or will there be enough air from the rear compartment for the sub? The rear compartment to the area under the seat are open. Would it be better to put a ported box in there vs a sealed box or is that irrelevant in that area? I am trying to find a place to hide a second sub without giving up usable storage in the boat. The area under the seat on the left is not usable because just in front it a cooler that cuts that storage area off.
    What's the size of the compartment? I think that if you have an area that is relatively open to the air you'd be ok. I think what Roz is saying you don't want the front of the speaker to be affected by a restricted volume of air. As long as there is plenty of air that will allow the speaker to flow freely back and forth you'd be ok. If it's like a 1' by 1' area that would be bad but if it's three or four feet and not sealed tight you should be fine. We run a sealed box under the back seats of our pontoon boat and it sounds good. The seats are raised about and inch off the deck all the way around the back so there is plenty of air flow for the sub to move.
    Chris

ROZ
    Sealed enclosure for the subwoofer. Vent the area that it will be placed...