Thread: Packless Sealing System Shaft Seals ?

SK48
    Has anyone ever tried one of these graphite flange shaft log seals. Its a pretty nice looking part, and they say they are good for 6 years or 2500 hours. No packing to wear on the shaft and everyone says they are completely dripless.
    I just bought one and put in my tournament boat today and am waiting for the river to fill up so I can try it. This is the week that they drain the Parker strip for repairs so I can't get in the water.
    If it really works as good as advertised I thought I would buy another for my Hallett Vector.I have to replace the packing in the Morse Plastic stuffing box about every year.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Im very interested in how this works. I have had some serious water leakes. eek!

BILLY.B
    Was just dealing with that issue today,where did you get it from?Bergeron.

gnRacer98
    SK48,
    If your talking about the PSS seal, Lanse had one on 790, took it off and threw it away.
    Also found this:
    http://www.boated.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34691
    The PSS look neat but the plastic seems to work best.

Not sure if it's the same one you're talking about but there was one out couple years ago that sounded great but wouldn't handle anything close to the rpm we run with prop shafts. Don't remember the name of it either.

gnRacer98

SK48
    Put the boat in the water this morning with the new graphite shaft log seal. Have about 2 hours on the hour meter and not a drop of water in the boat. The instructions said it would drip for about the first 10 minutes, but mine didn't drip at all. So far I am very happy and glad I didn't put the old packing style back in the boat. I'm going to leave the boat in the water tonight and hope it is still floating in the morning. If it is I will call Bergeron Marine Monday morning and order another one for my Hallett. I can't believe more people aren't using these. I have only seen them at the water ski races in the high dollar Schiada and Hallett v-drive race boats.