Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small block chevy cam question

84 camaroturbo
    my boat has a 89 350 it is a roller block but not a roller cam. would it be worth it to put a step bigger then stock roller cam in it. i have all the lifters and every thing for a roller just not the cam.
    i am changing the intake right now so it is off already just need to pop the pan and timing cover.

jmherbert
    Short answer, Yes. What do you want out of your boat? What type of boat? Be aware any changes in the power of your boat may require a prop change.

Moneypitt
    All I'll say is that General Motors pays their engineers quite well to come up with combinations that work. Any variation from that design is a crap shoot. Changing this, or that, without changing that or this, can do more harm than good. Just be careful how far you go away from the initial design without totally redesigning the whole thing........Some times when things aren't broken, it turns out you shouldn't have tried to fix it........MP
    PS, before you get caried away, think about building another "hotrod" motor, leave the original, original, and running. Then when the hotrod is done, switch them, and still have a reliable stocker to fall back on IF the hotrod has problems.......

Beer-30
    A wise move, especially since you are so far into it already. Just make sure you change the distributor gear to one for a roller cam. Different material than standard cam.

84 camaroturbo
    i know if it isnt broke dont fix it. but a roller cam is more reliable then a flat tappet. i am looking at getting a five blade prop as soon as the snow melts.
    I know alot about cars it is just the boat tecs were i live dont know anything about performance. boats are alittle different then cars that is why i am asking. i also have a set of roller rocker sitting i was going to put in with it.

HP350SC
    I have a used roller cam out of a '92 350 mag. (no issues with it, pulled it out to change cams for a blower) You can have it for $20 plus shipping to your location.

bigkatboat
    You need to look at where you want more power (RPM range), and remember that the combination of: heads, intake, carb, exhaust, and compression make the power. The camshaft tells all of the other areas of the engine WHEN to make the power. A jet boat, a V- drive, and an I/O, all need different power bands, so the same cam 'will work', but not be 'the best available' for your boat. Please give more info. on your boat and then you will be offered much closer answers to your question. Your block has 'cast in towers' in the valley for the "spider" to bolt to? Does your block have the longer lifter bores also?

84 camaroturbo
    the boat is a i/o the intake is idle to 5500 so the cam i am looking for will match. like with a truck you can get a r.v cam is what people call it for more low end and pulling. i am not looking to build a monster just a little more power. the block has the taller lifter bores the flats for the bones and the bolt holes for the spider. i even have a double roller chain for a roller cam.
    i really dont want to pull the heads also. that is why i am looking at going with a little bigger then stock cam.

All I'll say is that General Motors pays their engineers quite well to come up with combinations that work. Any variation from that design is a crap shoot. Changing this, or that, without changing that or this, can do more harm than good. Just be careful how far you go away from the initial design without totally redesigning the whole thing........Some times when things aren't broken, it turns out you shouldn't have tried to fix it........MP
    PS, before you get caried away, think about building another "hotrod" motor, leave the original, original, and running. Then when the hotrod is done, switch them, and still have a reliable stocker to fall back on IF the hotrod has problems.......
    money , I must say you are a poet.

bigkatboat
    If you are not 'going all the way', then just change the springs (for more lift and pressure) and put on some 1.6 roller rockers. This will give you more lift (breathing) and not 'knock you out' as far as screwing up the motor. Camshaft reliability starts with clean oil and filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast