Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water temp question

Rattle Can Lou
    I am running the Wickens with dry headers and need to ask about water temp. The motor is a 468 BBC with AFR 315 heads. The water pump is a new magna flow. Picks up the water through a plate pickup. Right now it exits the boat through two 1/2 in. stainless tubes. Obviously I have no water temp. I wondered if there was a standard orifice size to exit the water through? To build temp do you restrict the water out??? With the injection it has made it tough to tune with no temp. I think the aluminum heads need temp to run correctly??? Any help would be appreciated...RCL

Carnivalride
    RCL,
    Before you start trying to put too much temp in that engine you might check your oil temp. On my deal I've always had 180-190degree oil temp when running it kinda hard and the water temp only showed around 130 degree. So if you don't have an oil cooler you may want to watch the oil temp before you start restricting the water flow. I don't know if you have an oil cooler or not so this might not mean much to you. In my application I'm going to have to run an oil cooler if I want to run mine hard for more than short spurts.
    PS I think its better to restrict the flow after the waterpump and after it exits the engine.
    JMO
    Loren

Rattle Can Lou
    Loren, I appreciate the answer. I have no oil cooler. That is part of the problem. Nothing to preheat the water going into the block. It's got an Aviad pan that holds 10 quarts. This engine application will be short spurts only. I'm at that age. It's got more power than I have balls, so far. I don't see how you can milk the oil with slowing the water out. But I do wonder if it is hard on the pump and impeller?

Carnivalride
    Loren, I appreciate the answer. I have no oil cooler. That is part of the problem. Nothing to preheat the water going into the block. It's got an Aviad pan that holds 10 quarts. This engine application will be short spurts only. I'm at that age. It's got more power than I have balls, so far. I don't see how you can milk the oil with slowing the water out. But I do wonder if it is hard on the pump and impeller?
    It might be hard on the impellers. I run a neovane and I replace the impeller every year at the start of my boating season if not they always seem to lose an ear or two. I don't pull the cover off in the off season either though.

GofastRacer
    I am running the Wickens with dry headers and need to ask about water temp. The motor is a 468 BBC with AFR 315 heads. The water pump is a new magna flow. Picks up the water through a plate pickup. Right now it exits the boat through two 1/2 in. stainless tubes. Obviously I have no water temp. I wondered if there was a standard orifice size to exit the water through? To build temp do you restrict the water out??? With the injection it has made it tough to tune with no temp. I think the aluminum heads need temp to run correctly??? Any help would be appreciated...RCL
    You gotta remember, that water pump pumps like crazy also when you are under way it is being force fed at the same time adding to the flow, now if you put a restriction on the dump you will build up pressure in the block, enough to overcome gaskets and sealers and eventually have a milkshake!.. A simple way to fix that is to add another dump line right after the pump with a valve, this will reduce the amount of water to the motor and you can control it with the valve, it also will be easier on the impeller!..

centerhill condor
    what he said... with the addition of a pressure reducing valve such that the pressure the engine sees is less than say 15 psig... mine is automatic and spring loaded so that there is no pressure spike to blow gaskets, etc..this is a jet thingy but the concept is the same I think..http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attac...id=16825&stc=1

Rattle Can Lou
    Hey Art, I don't mean to be a moron....The water routes from the pump right to the block. where do you put a bypass line or dump line??? Maybe you should PM your phone number to call you....

coolchange
    We used to cut some vvanes off the impellor. Some are against this but it worked for us. I like the bleeder line though.

GofastRacer
    We used to cut some vvanes off the impellor. Some are against this but it worked for us. I like the bleeder line though.
    Many moons ago when I didn't know shit, I listened to someone that said to do that, "yeah just cut them off until you get heat" yeah right, I ended up cutting enough vanes off that it wouldn't draw water from a stand still(ruined a brand new impeller) and it didn't do shit at speed, taking a few vanes off only helped while idling around. Then I figured it out, once you're on plane you're force fed anyhow and you don't even need a pump, the pump is good for idling around and after you run hard for a period of time and come to an idle to keep from building up a steam pocket!..

GofastRacer
    Hey Art, I don't mean to be a moron....The water routes from the pump right to the block. where do you put a bypass line or dump line??? Maybe you should PM your phone number to call you....
    Hey Lou, "I don't mean to be a moron" that's some funny shit there, LOL.. Anyhow, don't know how you're setup is but what I did on my ski boat, on the outlet of the pump where you T off to the motor I used a 3 way fuel shutoff mounted on the pump then t off to the motor, I just used one of those cheapo cable deals from the local parts store to control the open/close and mounted it by the seat, it was sanitary and it worked great!.. I'll send you my number if you want to BS about it!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast