Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: super stock racing?

stump
    I have been checking out the SS racing class.This looks like fun and realitively affordable class.Are the drive shafts run off the front of the engine in these or is engine mounted backwards ''flywheel forward''.And i read that capsules will be mandatory for the 2004 racing season how will this be handled ,will a new hull be required?I dont think we have any teams on the east coast here that i know of ,hmmn maby it's time to change that.

126driver
    Stump - we run off of the balancer. Capsules in '04? We'll have to see about that one...

FlatRacer
    Stump:
    Most of the drivers I talk to refuse to go the capsule route. If APBA sticks to their guns this time (they've been threatening to mandate capsules for quite a few years now), and this time it looks like they will, they'll probably lose flatbottoms altogether. There aren't enough capsule boats to sustain the class. They're too few spread too far across the country.
    If the class is to continue without capsules, it will have to find a new sanctioning body to run under, or perhaps start its own new organization. If that happens, there will probably be (I hope) some engine rule changes to make it more affordable, and bring the speeds down.
    While the class looks inexpensive to run, it's really not. There are ways to cheat, and believe me they've all been tried, some successfully for years before they were detected, but they are expensive. Even if you don't cheat, a top shelf motor is still expensive and it's stressed way beyond its design limitations. If you want an engine to last, it won't win, and visa versa. As a matter of fact it's cheaper to run a KRR program, because as soon as you stick a blower on a big block, you've got more power than the boat can handle, then it becomes a matter of who's the bravest driver. The old joke is that in KRR you bolt a wooden block to the underside of your gas pedal, and as your balls get a little bigger you shave some of the wood off the block!
    Personally, I'd like to see a flatbottom class that follows the sealed hands off spec engine idea that's enjoying so much success now in the Offshore Factory classes. Build 'em to last an entire season or more, rev limit them, make them deliver about 450 RELIABLE hp. Seal them so they can't be tampered with. Mandate rear facing scoops so they won't get destroyed if ya get hosed. If we did that we'd have a fun 110 mph boat that would last all season. And between prop and gear selection and weight jacking, you'd still have plenty to play around with as far as setup.
    The other avenue is to do what Circle Jerk is doing out in the northwest where you have to keep your lap times above a set index. Kinda like bracket racing, only in circles. A very intriguing and interesting concept, but I'd have to see it in action before I could render an opinion on its success. I have a feeling that in '04 Boyd's gonna have a lot of racers knocking on his door to see if they can play in his back yard!
    In any case, we're in a wait and see mode. This is certainly not the time to get into Super Stock racing. On the other hand, next year it will be a buyer's market for all kinds of cool competitive equipment! Glass half empty, or half full??????
    Eric

LeE ss13
    stump:
    .. fun and realitively affordable class..I've heard, the front runners spend about 25K an engine and use 2 or 3 a season. So I've heard !! Now add driving from 100 to 1000 miles, getting hotel rooms for yourself and wife and 3 to 4 crew members. Entry fees, $4.50 a gallon fuel, (3 to 5 gallons a heat depending on the altitude),food, spare parts, APBA membership, Local club Membership, DOT physical, Vest and Helmet certification, beer, (required), lost work time, (you gotta take Fridays off)..... I think I better stop, I might be talking myself out of Thanksgivings at Bluewater.

Sked
    FlatRacer:
    Stump:
    If the class is to continue without capsules, it will have to find a new sanctioning body to run under, or perhaps start its own new organization. If that happens, there will probably be (I hope) some engine rule changes to make it more affordable, and bring the speeds down. *****************************************
    Personally, I'd like to see a flatbottom class that follows the sealed hands off spec engine idea that's enjoying so much success now in the Offshore Factory classes. Build 'em to last an entire season or more, rev limit them, make them deliver about 450 RELIABLE hp. Seal them so they can't be tampered with. Mandate rear facing scoops so they won't get destroyed if ya get hosed. If we did that we'd have a fun 110 mph boat that would last all season.
    EricHey Eric,
    WHO THE HELL WOULD WANT TO GO SLOWER !!!!!!!!!!
    I DOUBT YOU WOULD SEE SPEEDS OF 110 WITH ONLY 450 HP ESPECIALLY IN AN 1850 LB BOAT. IN FACT I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD SEE IT IN MOST 1400 LB BOATS.

CircleJerk
    Hey flat racer, Thanks for the plug. But you are wrong. I dont have the price of one of those crate motors you're talking about in my whole boat motor and trailer and it runs 66 mph AVERAGE. That my friend, isnt slow on a 3/4 course with 900 foot staightaways or I'm an overthehill OLD Geiser!!!!It Kicks Mee In the Pants! And I may summerize my remarks by saying... almost lost my train of thought......Yes we have already seen the interest growingggggggggggggggggg BBBBiGGGG! The Hydros are coming!!!! Who will be faster????? Jerk

Sked
    On your courses, my money's on the flats.

CircleJerk
    JSSK88:
    On your courses, my money's on the flats.Wish you were right, but, The 266 'Miami Mist' turned a 67mph on a solo run! What's a flat to do? Am I that slow? Jerk.....Dont answer that!
    [ November 11, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: CircleJerk ]

Sked
    Hey Jerk,
    Need a "shoe"? I hear blondebombshell's the hot driver. Sorry, just had to.

Sked
    stump,
    This one's for you. Here's one of your NC good old boys out of Raliegh, Bobby Commander, in his pre Biesemeyer days getting ready to do battle in his Frahs Super Stock.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast