Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How fast could one of the 350-450hp wake boarding boats go

Sumfoo1
    if one were to put a speed prop on it instead of a pulling prop?

sigepmock
    That's kind of like asking "how big a wake can one of these performance boats put out if you repropped them?" The hulls are designed completely differently. I know some ogf the bigger Xstars and a few others are running the 496/8.1L but the hulls are designed for one thing.....big, smooth, shapped wakes. You could re prop but that really won't give you much. My guess is 55 to 60 mph but it wouldn't be the best ride and who knows how they would handle at that speed, not to mention you'd lose your wakeboarding ability.
    I think if speed is your most important priority get a performance boat and add a tower and maybe tabs. With a few phat sacks they can be made to throw out a decent wake, nothing as nice as a wakeboarding boat but I think it is easier to get a performance boat to act like a wakeboard boat than it is to get a wakeboard boat to act like a performance boat.
    Just my $.02,
    Chris

lakewake
    I think it has more to do with the hull as opposed to the HP. I had a Ski Centurian Barefoot Bowrider with a 200HP Merc. On glass early in the morning I was clocked by GPS at 68 mph. My new Tige with a 350 HP inboard and a completely different hull will only do 46-48.

lakewake
    I think it is easier to get a performance boat to act like a wakeboard boat than it is to get a wakeboard boat to act like a performance boat.
    Just my $.02,
    Chris
    Very true statement.

Acommanderguy
    well to be honest those boats are geared at 1:1 ratio, for low end torque. So to put a "speed" prop really wouldnt do much. The old snager hulls haven't really changed in years. the v-210 is the same hull they ran back in the 80's. Like I said they are geared for low end torque.

Trailer Park Casanova
    I'm not going to stretch it and say their is a hull speed like with a sail boat.
    But their is some relation.
    More hp just means more fuel burn with a true wakeboard boat.
    350 hp is just about the paradox number.
    With more HP ya just get more people bitc#ing about the fuel burn, and ya still only do 48 to 52 mph, and the very few extra MPH from mostly prop tuning.
    Honest take.

HM
    The prop has some to do with it, but the hull design and strut angle are the biggest factors more than the prop.
    The strut angle is the #1 factor.
    The bottom design is #2.
    The prop is # 3.
    on some boats, like the recreational ski sangers, #2 and #3 are much closer.
    When the boats get above 40 MPH, they get too much stern lift and force the bow into the water. So, the faster they go, the more wetted surface the boat wants to take on. You can relieve this a little with a high raked prop with no cupping, but it is very marginal...I know, I tried my 2 blade from my flattie on our mastercraft and got a few more MPH - but, my 2 blade was also 2 inches more in pitch while 2 inches smaller in diameter. The same phenomenom happened with any prop is that there was very little speed difference on the last 500 RPM.
    And, it is not true that you can make a regular recreation stern drive act like a wake board boat....atleast not to anyone who can do more than jump the wake on a wake board. A big wake is not all that is desired. The shape is as much as important to give smooth transitions. I boarded behind several recreational boats that we made bigger wakes with, put towers on and etc and thought they were great. Then, we started boarding behind a mastercraft and a tige'....and the difference was phenomenal.

squirt'nmyload
    a good wakeboarder can wakeboard behind any boat no matter what it is

HM
    a good wakeboarder can wakeboard behind any boat no matter what it is
    I agree, but what is your point? A good golfer can hit any club....a good baseball player can hit any bat....blah blah blah and the list goes on.
    When given the choice, they want what works best.

ratso
    I had a buddy of mine with a jetboat that ran 65mph. He put Nitrous on it and ran 67mph...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast