Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alternator for my flatbottom

ss wannabe
    I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times, but I've heard somebody makes a kit to install an alternator with a flat-belt drive that hangs below the headers on the non-starter side. This would work great with a front-drive setup like on my ss-type flatty. Anyone know where this kit is available? Does Jones Marine mean anything to you?

Thunderbutt
    I have a v-drive Spectra. I installed the alternator to run off of the drive line. I had Lenard at Finish line Eng. make a clamp pully that fit the drive line and bolted the Alt. to the stringer. Simple but it works and you can't see it. Originally posted by ss wannabe:
    I'm sure this question has been asked and answered many times, but I've heard somebody makes a kit to install an alternator with a flat-belt drive that hangs below the headers on the non-starter side. This would work great with a front-drive setup like on my ss-type flatty. Anyone know where this kit is available? Does Jones Marine mean anything to you?

boatguy222
    You have mail

Fired Up
    Doesn't someone make a mount that attaches the alternator shaft directly to the vibration damper eliminating pulleys and belts?

blownschiada
    I used to run one like you are looking for on my blown Hondo runner.I think it came from Rex Marine.If not check with bergeron marine in AZ.

Fired Up
    I found the alternator mount in a very old Rex Marine catalog. Does anyone know their web site address. I tried Rex Marine .com and only found some site for salt water boats. Is there another address for their performance parts?

Fired Up, its http://www.rexmar.com
    Unfortunately its just a listing of what they carry, not an online catalog.
    [This message has been edited by OLDSQUIRT (edited April 14, 2002).]

spectras only
    Fired up, I have my alternator [original Motorola unit]mounted directly to the damper via aluminum dogs with rubber cushion between.It could be a Nicson unit,[out of business long time ago]no name stamped on it.Glenwood may have this item as well as Rex marine.Give them a call.

Thunderbutt
    Attila, Does Motorola build good alternators or what? I've only had mine for 31 years. What a deal. Originally posted by spectras only:
    Fired up, I have my alternator [original Motorola unit]mounted directly to the damper via aluminum dogs with rubber cushion between.It could be a Nicson unit,[out of business long time ago]no name stamped on it.Glenwood may have this item as well as Rex marine.Give them a call.

spectras only
    Yes Jim,it's pretty reliable.The motorola unit has less output than the newer alt's ,but I have dual batt's in the 24 spectra .Motorola built the optional stereo casette player microphone/recorder wich I had in my72 Challenger.Had that car for 8 yrs ,never any problem with the player and lots of fun recording unsuspecting friend's conversations.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited April 14, 2002).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast