Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Batteries??

Beer-30
    Everybody's situation is different. Your batteries wouldn't keep my stereo going for 15 minutes. It's not opinion that I need more batteries of a more extreme duty nature than you, unless it's your opinion that electrical theory suspends itself onboard a boat.
    I also don't like liquid batteries in my rides. I am tired of 7yr Delco batteries leaking at the post and killing cables. As soon as I see my new GM batts start to leak (about 1 yr), I pull them and put in an Optima. The one in the truck went 5 years almost to the date. The one in my '57, which sits most of the time is 7 yrs old and I just went and started it a few minutes ago. No leaks, no mess, excellent shelf life. I will run nothing less than Optima, Stinger, any of the gel or AGM are great in my book.

phebus
    unless it's your opinion that electrical theory suspends itself onboard a boat.
    All theory, and common sense goes out the window when your talking "boat":rollside:

Red Horse
    Bill, I have one of those hi tech chargers. Mine is not installed because of the ability of my boat to get everything wet. I have a dedicated place in my garage, keep it there and about wed or so I throw it on the battery if I am going the lake that weekend. I then throw my fluke on it, check voltage after charge then a few hours later. If it is out of parameters I used to take the battery out of my S-10 just in case!!! You can also get a battery condition meter from west marine. They can get pretty hi tech and pricey such as this one
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0001/694/118/9
    But there are others.
    I am pretty cognicent of my battery as I only have one and it would be hard to jump start because of location and the way I have been charging has worked well for me. Contact KC, he prolly invented something for what you want :boxed:

Riverkid
    I used to go through batteries every year or two as well. It got frustrating and expensive with multiple batteries in multiple boats. Then I started storing them in the down time with Battery Tenders (NOT trickle chargers) and now they last 5-7 years. The down time sulfation (standard plate batteries) is what kills em off when not in use for long periods and allowed to discharge and sit dead or low.
    I also use Optimas now with great results and use the Battery Tenders on them as well. No problems experienced.
    There you go, good advice right there. Every app. is different, but so long as the batteriezs are charged correctly (and various battery designs require quite different charge rates, as mentioned) they last a long time (if not overdischarged). At a min you should be recharging stored batteries every month. They do sulfate if allowed to sit. Think of sulfation like a car hood in the dez. The paint oxidizes, as the lead plates will. It then gets really hard for the electro-chem reaction to occur as it should. You have to use a good charger to break that sulfation down and the battery to function correctly.
    I've been in the battery biz for a long time. The number 1 killer of batteries is poor recharging practices. Buy a good charger, follow the instructions, and you won't be hauling batteries in and out every season or two...
    Is it summer yet?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234